Topics

More progress on the Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30

Tom Grabenstein

My recent work on the ET&WNC On30 layout reminded me of modern day“ rails to trails" programs. As I placed the roadbed and the first layers of scenery……….

….. the result reminded me of this picture of the" Tweetsie Trail" near Johnson City Tennessee.

The Tweetsie Trail is the actual old roadbed of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

My On30 trail walkers were in for quite a fright when they stumbled into a large hairy humanoid from the Northwest country side who was obviously quite lost in the Blue Ridge.

Thanks for following along. Doc Tom

William Uffelman

Looking mighty good Dr Tom.

Bill Uffelman

On Friday, November 22, 2019, 03:20:28 PM PST, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

My recent work on the ET&WNC On30 layout reminded me of modern day“ rails to trails" programs. As I placed the roadbed and the first layers of scenery……….

….. the result reminded me of this picture of the" Tweetsie Trail" near Johnson City Tennessee.

The Tweetsie Trail is the actual old roadbed of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

My On30 trail walkers were in for quite a fright when they stumbled into a large hairy humanoid from the Northwest country side who was obviously quite lost in the Blue Ridge.

Thanks for following along. Doc Tom

gftolhurst

Trails to rails—now there’s a concept!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 6:20 PM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

My recent work on the ET&WNC On30 layout reminded me of modern day“ rails to trails" programs. As I placed the roadbed and the first layers of scenery……….

….. the result reminded me of this picture of the" Tweetsie Trail" near Johnson City Tennessee.

The Tweetsie Trail is the actual old roadbed of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

My On30 trail walkers were in for quite a fright when they stumbled into a large hairy humanoid from the Northwest country side who was obviously quite lost in the Blue Ridge.

Thanks for following along. Doc Tom

Tim Smith

I’ve been making progress on my ET layout as well. My layout is set in the 1940’s.

Sent from Tim Smith's iPhone SE

On Nov 22, 2019, at 9:38 PM, gftolhurst via Groups.Io <gftolhurst@...> wrote:

Trails to rails—now there’s a concept!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 6:20 PM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

My recent work on the ET&WNC On30 layout reminded me of modern day“ rails to trails" programs. As I placed the roadbed and the first layers of scenery……….

….. the result reminded me of this picture of the" Tweetsie Trail" near Johnson City Tennessee.

The Tweetsie Trail is the actual old roadbed of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

My On30 trail walkers were in for quite a fright when they stumbled into a large hairy humanoid from the Northwest country side who was obviously quite lost in the Blue Ridge.

Thanks for following along. Doc Tom

Mark Lewis

Tim:

Your work looks great!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Nov 22, 2019, at 9:38 PM, gftolhurst via Groups.Io <gftolhurst=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Trails to rails—now there’s a concept!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 6:20 PM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

My recent work on the ET&WNC On30 layout reminded me of modern day“ rails to trails" programs. As I placed the roadbed and the first layers of scenery……….

….. the result reminded me of this picture of the" Tweetsie Trail" near Johnson City Tennessee.

The Tweetsie Trail is the actual old roadbed of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

My On30 trail walkers were in for quite a fright when they stumbled into a large hairy humanoid from the Northwest country side who was obviously quite lost in the Blue Ridge.

Thanks for following along. Doc Tom

Tom Grabenstein

Tim,

Your layout is looking very nice. Nicely shot photos too.

Would love to compare notes. I like the gondola cars with the early style of lettering. Where did you find these? Also it appears you are using static grass. I would like to take the plunge on this also. What product and applicator did you use?

There's also a very neat depot in your pictures I like the color green you chose. What product did you use for the paint?

Thank you  in advance for any help  and advice you could give.

Doc Tom

On Nov 22, 2019, at 10:42 PM, Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:

I’ve been making progress on my ET layout as well. My layout is set in the 1940’s.

<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image3.jpeg>
Sent from Tim Smith's iPhone SE

On Nov 22, 2019, at 9:38 PM, gftolhurst via Groups.Io <gftolhurst@...> wrote:

Trails to rails—now there’s a concept!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 6:20 PM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

My recent work on the ET&WNC On30 layout reminded me of modern day“ rails to trails" programs. As I placed the roadbed and the first layers of scenery……….

….. the result reminded me of this picture of the" Tweetsie Trail" near Johnson City Tennessee.

The Tweetsie Trail is the actual old roadbed of the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.

My On30 trail walkers were in for quite a fright when they stumbled into a large hairy humanoid from the Northwest country side who was obviously quite lost in the Blue Ridge.

Thanks for following along. Doc Tom

Tim Smith

Thanks for the compliments.

The gondola cars are wiseman kits. As for the lettering it’s a late period lettering used from WWII to the end.
The static grass applicator I got off eBay from someone in NC and I’m using woodlands scenics static grass.

The depot is a BTS kit painted olive drab with red trim. I used testors paint but the colors I used are common among most model paint suppliers.

Tim

On Nov 23, 2019, at 9:31 AM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

Tim,

Your layout is looking very nice. Nicely shot photos too.

Would love to compare notes. I like the gondola cars with the early style of lettering. Where did you find these? Also it appears you are using static grass. I would like to take the plunge on this also. What product and applicator did you use?

There's also a very neat depot in your pictures I like the color green you chose. What product did you use for the paint?

Thank you  in advance for any help  and advice you could give.

<fullsizeoutput_1763.jpeg>

Bill Wade <wadepub@...>

On 11/22/2019 11:42 PM, Tim Smith wrote:
I’ve been making progress on my ET layout as well. My layout is set in the 1940’s.
(snip)

Nice work!!

Keep the photos of your progress coming.

Take care
Bill

--
== Scale Model Railroad Products ==
== Manufacturer - Retailer - Importer ==

Tom Grabenstein

Thank you Tim for all the information. I see some Wiseman gondola kits in my future. Thank you for the leads on the static grass and the Olive drab paint color. Good information.

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming. Dr. Tom

On Nov 23, 2019, at 12:11 PM, Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:

[...]

Here is something I’ve been working on. It’s a model of box car 430 one of the metal sided box cars. All that remains is the underneath and a little bit on the roof. Attached is a before and after pic.

On Nov 23, 2019, at 2:41 PM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

[...]

That is a really interesting kit bash!  What are you using for the metal siding?

Mark Lewis

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 5:18 PM Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:
[...]

Nicely done. Like the metal sides.
Doc Tom

On Nov 24, 2019, at 4:18 PM, Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:

Here is something I’ve been working on. It’s a model of box car 430 one of the metal sided box cars. All that remains is the underneath and a little bit on the roof. Attached is a before and after pic.
<image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg>

[...]

I used thin styrene painted with aluminum and wood trim for the body and detail parts from various suppliers.

Tim

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 5:56 PM Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:
[...]

Train Shop Lead
The Dollywood Company
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
336-957-6464

Mark Lewis

Thank's Tim.

Mark Lewis

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 7:25 PM Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:
[...]

Tim and Tom,
Excellent work, the two of you!
I'm pondering an article for the ET&WNC magazine about updating the Bachmann ten-wheelers, to include tender headlight covers, better number and builder plates, and such.

Tim, I love that aluminum-sided boxcar.
I model 1943, which comes in very handy as the ten-wheelers come in the right markings for that.
The stock Bachmann tank cars aren't that bad a representation for the gas tank cars. I made my own decals and the two I made turned out okay, I think.

I decided to make 'shorty' versions of the converted flat-gons by using the 'high gon' cars from Bachmann, and cutting down the top two boards, then making my own number plates for the sides. They're hardly perfect but they make good representations, I think.

I also want to make some better passenger coaches, but I have two AMS coaches that look pretty decent to me for the most part:

Lee Bishop
Manager, ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch

Tim Smith

I’ve used AMS tank cars for the 600 series.

I’ve also built several of the Wiseman gonds and the hoppers from Dave.

My boxcars are AMS and San Juan

For me these represent the ET stuff better than the Bachmann offerings. So far I’ve only modeled 32 ft cars.

Tim

On Nov 27, 2019, at 12:37 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree the AMS stuff looks much better.
If you'd like a set, I made a set of ET tank car decals for two of them, complete with pressure test markings as Johnny noted in his "Along the ET" series of books.
Feel free to contact me directly, I owe you for a cab ride at Tweetsie several years ago on 190!

Thank you Tim and Lee for all these great ideas about rolling stock on our favorite railroad. I am saving this entire thread for future use! These are GREAT IDEAS for gondolas, tank cars, boxcars, passenger cars and flat cars for a 1920 rendition of the ET& WNC in On30 gauge. Thank you for all the pictures!
Doc Tom

On Nov 27, 2019, at 6:04 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tim,
I agree the AMS stuff looks much better.
If you'd like a set, I made a set of ET tank car decals for two of them, complete with pressure test markings as Johnny noted in his "Along the ET" series of books.
Feel free to contact me directly, I owe you for a cab ride at Tweetsie several years ago on 190!
Lee Bishop

Tim Smith

Made a little more progress on the layout this weekend.   Been adding some trees to a cut I made a few weeks ago. That cut sure makes the sound from #11 really sound good. The plan is to install a similar arrangement of trees above the track soon. I also picked up my 3rd 4-6-0 this weekend. This one will most likely be the 9.

On Nov 27, 2019, at 8:57 PM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

Thank you Tim and Lee for all these great ideas about rolling stock on our favorite railroad. I am saving this entire thread for future use! These are GREAT IDEAS for gondolas, tank cars, boxcars, passenger cars and flat cars for a 1920 rendition of the ET& WNC in On30 gauge. Thank you for all the pictures!
Doc Tom

<P1010282.jpeg>

On Nov 27, 2019, at 6:04 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tim,
I agree the AMS stuff looks much better.
If you'd like a set, I made a set of ET tank car decals for two of them, complete with pressure test markings as Johnny noted in his "Along the ET" series of books.
Feel free to contact me directly, I owe you for a cab ride at Tweetsie several years ago on 190!
Lee Bishop

Mark Lewis

Tim:

The cut and tree line are looking good.
On your 4-6-0 purchases...are you buying the DCC/SOUND versions or the DCC only? Are you retaining the factory DCC and/or sound, or are you retro fitting them with after market electronics?

Mark Lewis