Topics

Modeling the JC furnace

Chris Jessee

Would the waltzers blast furnace kit be a good starting point for modeling the JC furnace?
Also found this site: https://steelmillmodelerssupply.com

Larry Smith

The Walthers kit looks nothing like the JC Cranberry furnace.  Get you hands on the Blueridge Stemwinder as well as the plans from Mike Rabbit.  The stock building is a two track affair with lots of trestling under the tracks.

Larry Smith

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 8:06:25 PM CDT, Chris Jessee via groups.io <cj8n@...> wrote:

Would the waltzers blast furnace kit be a good starting point for modeling the JC furnace?
Also found this site: https://steelmillmodelerssupply.com

Chris Ford

Larry's right, the Walthers kit is a newer design than the JCity furnace...it's way too modern looking.

Now, that being said, if you could get the kit reasonably priced there may be some parts and pieces you could use to help build the JCity furnace. Most of it would have to be built from scratch, but you might be able to buy some kits of air pumps and steam boilers to help.

In the 14/2 Fall/Winter 2003 issue of the Stemwinder we ran reduced versions of Mike Rabbit's furnace drawings, along with photos and a good writeup about the furnace. You might want to check it out and see what would be involved as far as what could be purchased and what would need to be built.

It would be a show stopper if done right!

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 01:54:30 +0000 (UTC), "Larry Smith" <wooddale@...> wrote:

The Walthers kit looks nothing like the JC Cranberry furnace.  Get you hands on the Blueridge Stemwinder as well as the plans from Mike Rabbit.  The stock building is a two track affair with lots of trestling under the tracks.

Larry Smith

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 8:06:25 PM CDT, Chris Jessee via groups.io <cj8n@...> wrote:

Would the waltzers blast furnace kit be a good starting point for modeling the JC furnace?
Also found this site: https://steelmillmodelerssupply.com

Larry Smith

Chris

When I talked to Mike Rabbit and I have his plans, he suggested building the furnace and the metal parts from strathmore board and very good paper.  You could use the Archer rivets for the sections. of plate.

Larry

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:03:53 PM CDT, Chris Ford <chris@...> wrote:

[...]

I've got the plans from Mike Rabbit. I agree the walthers kit seems to modern.

Larry Smith

Chris

The steel mill modelers also said that the model is under sized and represents a 1940s model as well.

Larry Smith