Topics

Mock-up structures at Cranberry

Dean Smith

I haven't actually constructed my Cranberry buildings yet, but Doc Tom asked if I had plans for my space, so I thought I would post photos of the mock-ups I have done for the Cranberry buildings. I don't visualize well, so it's really important for me to mock something up before actually investing in materials and time. It was necessary to selectively compress everything, but I hope I captured the essence of the scene.  I am happy with the operation, and the role of Cranberry Yard Master is a busy one during operating sessions. I also added ITT sound modules for the water tank and the ore concentrator, which are pretty neat.  Not sure when I'll get the buildings done, but I already own the Cranberry Store Kit and have an order in for the Depot, so they may be built sooner than later.  Thanks for looking.

Dean

Mark Lewis

Dean,

1 word...WOW!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Fri, May 15, 2020, 8:16 AM Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:
I haven't actually constructed my Cranberry buildings yet, but Doc Tom asked if I had plans for my space, so I thought I would post photos of the mock-ups I have done for the Cranberry buildings. I don't visualize well, so it's really important for me to mock something up before actually investing in materials and time. It was necessary to selectively compress everything, but I hope I captured the essence of the scene.  I am happy with the operation, and the role of Cranberry Yard Master is a busy one during operating sessions. I also added ITT sound modules for the water tank and the ore concentrator, which are pretty neat.  Not sure when I'll get the buildings done, but I already own the Cranberry Store Kit and have an order in for the Depot, so they may be built sooner than later.  Thanks for looking.

Incredible!!!! Thanks for sending these beautiful pictures out. I am saving them for planning of my future build. I have room for the “ore concentrator” in O scale. It could be that 2D backdrops are behind this with a large pile of tailings to tie it all together.
Doc Tom

On May 15, 2020, at 7:08 AM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

I haven't actually constructed my Cranberry buildings yet, but Doc Tom asked if I had plans for my space, so I thought I would post photos of the mock-ups I have done for the Cranberry buildings. I don't visualize well, so it's really important for me to mock something up before actually investing in materials and time. It was necessary to selectively compress everything, but I hope I captured the essence of the scene.  I am happy with the operation, and the role of Cranberry Yard Master is a busy one during operating sessions. I also added ITT sound modules for the water tank and the ore concentrator, which are pretty neat.  Not sure when I'll get the buildings done, but I already own the Cranberry Store Kit and have an order in for the Depot, so they may be built sooner than later.  Thanks for looking.

Dean <Pump house.jpg><Engine house.jpg><Mine complex.jpg><Ore concentrator.jpg><Town area.jpg><Long view.jpg><Long view.jpg>

Dean Smith

Tom,
    I had pretty good success using a photo of a model as a backdrop. I think I’ve posted this before, but I can’t find where I did, so I’ll include it here.  I didn’t have room for the Iron Furnace in Johnson City, so I hit upon the idea of using a photo of the real furnace as a backdrop.  I didn’t have much luck, until I thought of using a photo of John Waite’s furnace instead.  Since it is a model, it seems to fit right in.  I’m not sure this will work in your case, but it’s an idea.

Dean

Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Mock-up structures at Cranberry

[...]

gftolhurst

Wow, that is going to be spectacular!

On May 15, 2020, at 8:16 AM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

[...]

Tweetsie12

Looks Great Dean!

Lee Bishop

Wow, I'm very impressed!

Chris Jessee

Hi Dean, great to see you making progress on the layout. I really like the idea of mocking all this up before building.

Curtis Brookshire

Very nice. I think you've done a fine job of capturing the scene at Cranberry. I especially like how you fit in the General Store. Like you I need mockups to better visualize because my mind thinks there's always more space than there is. Keep up the good work.
Curtis

Wonderful work!! Enjoying the progress reports.

Todd

On May 15, 2020, at 9:45 AM, Tweetsie12 <jonahsnyder12190@...> wrote:

Looks Great Dean!