Mini Bridge in the Mini Gorge. Doc Tom's On30 rendition of the ET &WNC.

Tom Grabenstein

Hello,

For the past month I have been cobbling together an iron truss bridge in what I'm calling my mini gorge on the Doe River. It was built in 1902.

It is 1920 and the bridge has begun to rust and loosen. Workmen have done the best they can to fix it up and now management wants to take a look.

They figure that the bridge is good for several more decades and the train is ready to proceed.

The “backstory" is that this bridge was constructed from multiple HO bits from Walthers,and Central Valley Models. The curve at the bridge required  quite a wide structure. The colorful foam is where I will carve the cliffs of the gorge. Hopefully it will be a small homage to the real thing.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

William Uffelman

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Uffelman 

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 5:03 PM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
Hello,

For the past month I have been cobbling together an iron truss bridge in what I'm calling my mini gorge on the Doe River. It was built in 1902.

It is 1920 and the bridge has begun to rust and loosen. Workmen have done the best they can to fix it up and now management wants to take a look.

They figure that the bridge is good for several more decades and the train is ready to proceed.

The “backstory" is that this bridge was constructed from multiple HO bits from Walthers,and Central Valley Models. The curve at the bridge required  quite a wide structure. The colorful foam is where I will carve the cliffs of the gorge. Hopefully it will be a small homage to the real thing.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

tfillion182

The scene looks great. I am especially impressed with your river.  How did you get such realistic rapids under the bridge ???

Tim Fillion

Tom Grabenstein

Hi Tim,

I'm glad you liked the photos. The river was done using painted hardboard(masonite) and a product called Mod Podge was applied using a fan brush. Several layers are built-up using this product. When it is swirled with the fan brush it takes on the appearance of rushing water.

Here is a link to a great video by Dave Frary on how to do this:  https://youtu.be/wnOE-qWhGVs

Do not use any kind of water products on painted foam board. It continues to “outgas” and will ruin the water effect in a few weeks. Don’t ask me how I know. Use a masonite base or “gatorboard” as Dave reccomends. 

Hope this helps.  Dr Tom

P.S. This my Linville River on the layout using the same technique.

On Jan 16, 2021, at 5:16 PM, tfillion182 <tfillion182@...> wrote:

The scene looks great. I am especially impressed with your river.  How did you get such realistic rapids under the bridge ???
Tim Fillion

Lee Bishop

Dean Smith

Great job!

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Mini Bridge in the Mini Gorge. Doc Tom's On30 rendition of the ET &WNC.

Tom Grabenstein

Thanks guys. My layout is small to modest and it limits the size of my scenes in “O” scale.  Dr Tom

On Jan 17, 2021, at 6:06 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

Great job!

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Mini Bridge in the Mini Gorge. Doc Tom's On30 rendition of the ET &WNC.

Curtis Brookshire

You've done a fantastic job using backdrops and selective compression to make your scenes look larger. I can't tell by the photos that it's a small layout. Please keep up your fine craftsmanship. 

Curtis

Tom Grabenstein

Thanks Curtis. I really appreciate this letter. The layout room I’m working with is 11’ x 14’. I chose O scale because of the fine running 10 wheeler’s by Bachman. I think O scale is best for close-up photos of the equipment and people in action and that’s what I’ve been trying to do.I am trying to replicate some real scenes from old photographs that can be captured close up. Thanks for looking and more to come. Here is another shot I have of a 10 wheeler entering my mini Doe river gorge. Dr. Tom

On Jan 19, 2021, at 11:33 AM, Curtis Brookshire via groups.io <curtis.brookshire@...> wrote:

You've done a fantastic job using backdrops and selective compression to make your scenes look larger. I can't tell by the photos that it's a small layout. Please keep up your fine craftsmanship. 

Curtis