Topics

"Jesus saves" rocks?

Lee Bishop

I was thinking of including a O scale "Jesus Saves" rock on my layout on the side of Stoney Creek Road, as mentioned in the "Tweetsie Country" book when it occurred to me that I've never seen (or even heard) of such a thing in that area, other than the mention in that book and a crude drawing of one.
How common were these really? I didn't know the area until the 70s when I was a kid but I never saw even a faded message like that long a road (but countless "See Rock City" and other types of 'ghost' barn paintings from decades before).
Does anyone know if this really was a common 'thing' in the region back then? I model the 40s, if this was ever a thing, was it earlier than that?
Lee Bishop
https://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/modeltrains.htm

Chris Ford

It's not the same wording, but I shot a photo of this one in 2002...

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/2002junefullsize/44fullsize.html

On Mon, 06 May 2019 16:07:10 -0700, "Lee Bishop" wrote:

I was thinking of including a O scale "Jesus Saves" rock on my layout on the side of Stoney Creek Road, as mentioned in the "Tweetsie Country" book when it occurred to me that I've never seen (or even heard) of such a thing in that area, other than the mention in that book and a crude drawing of one.
How common were these really? I didn't know the area until the 70s when I was a kid but I never saw even a faded message like that long a road (but countless "See Rock City" and other types of 'ghost' barn paintings from decades before).
Does anyone know if this really was a common 'thing' in the region back then? I model the 40s, if this was ever a thing, was it earlier than that?
Lee Bishop
https://www.freewebs.com/willysmb44/modeltrains.htm

gftolhurst

I remember “Jesus Saves” signs all over North Georgia as a kid in the 1950s.

Fred Tolhurst

Maryville, TN

On May 6, 2019, at 9:23 PM, Chris Ford <chris@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Riddle

These were very common in that era in our area.  Plus it’s a great story

Ken

[...]

Ken, thanks for the link, I'd never heard of that guy before. I'd like to re-create one of those concrete heart-shaped signs but nothing I could find online confirmed that he'd posted them before the WW2 years, as he was doing that for a long time afterward.

Ken Riddle

He started in 1918.  Read that link I tied to the email.  He was in a roof fall in a mine in 1917.  When he got better he started putting them up. They were all over everywhere back several years ago.

On May 7, 2019, at 11:27 AM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Ken, thanks for the link, I'd never heard of that guy before. I'd like to re-create one of those concrete heart-shaped signs but nothing I could find online confirmed that he'd posted them before the WW2 years, as he was doing that for a long time afterward.

Lee Bishop

Ken, I get that he was putting some signs up way before the 40s, but I haven't seen anything yet as to when he was putting up the heart-shaped concrete ones. Those could be postwar for all I know right now.
As with any model, you always want to know you have the right thing represented for the time you're modeling. I'll have to do more research to see if these could have bene seen in the area in the 40s...
Lee