Topics

Hopper cars in process, On30...

Lee Bishop

Ever since the pandemic forced us all indoors, I’ve been mostly either working from home, doing whatever house cleaning chores my wife comes up with, or working on these.
They’re laser kits made by On30IMA. They’re quite challenging to work on as a lot of it you just have to figure out on your own, so I built only one at first, to use as a guide to building the rest. I’m glad I did that.
The remaining 4 I have (two more shorties and two ‘normal’ length) were done in an assembly line manner, all repetitive tasks for each type of part for each car. Now, the subassemblies are done and I need to put them all together into the shape of ET&WNC hopper cars.
I’ll be happy when these are done, as I’ve always wanted some of the Tweetsie’s ubiquitous wood hoppers but before recently nobody made them in O scale. There are at least two people I know who’ll make them as 3D prints, but only in O scale. Heck, I’d have paid a premium price for these as one piece, but nobody wanted to take the money. The kits aren’t exactly cheap, but once they’re done, I think they’ll be worth it. Only one (the near on in this photo) will not be carrying a load. They need weights and there’s NO place to put them but inside without being seen. So I did the detailed interior bottoms of the one, and the rest will permanently carry coal loads.

Lee, These are turning out great!! They are wonderful kits to build. You should have quite a fleet soon.
Stay safe and healthy.  Doc Tom

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:29 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Ever since the pandemic forced us all indoors, I’ve been mostly either working from home, doing whatever house cleaning chores my wife comes up with, or working on these.
<0323202210-01.jpeg>
[...]

Tim Smith

I got 5 of these built so far, pretty simple kit to build.  Would like to build 3-5 more.

Sent from Tim Smith's iPhone SE

On Mar 24, 2020, at 9:20 PM, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Lewis

Tim:

Your kit builds look great.

Mark Lewis

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020, 9:37 PM Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:
[...]

Tim,
Yeah, I hope mine turn out like yours!
Can't wait to see how mine turn out.
BTW, you got me (and my Dad, brother and nephew) a cab ride on 190 at Tweetsie in 2005. I've never forgotten that, and I'll always be thankful.

Tim, those hopper cars are beautiful! Good job. Doc Tom

On Mar 24, 2020, at 8:37 PM, Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:

I got 5 of these built so far, pretty simple kit to build.  Would like to build 3-5 more.

<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>

[...]

The marking on the left sides of your cars, what is that?
I dont see any marking like that here:

Tim Smith

Says 500 Cu Ft

On Mar 26, 2020, at 1:28 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tim,
The marking on the left sides of your cars, what is that?
I dont see any marking like that here:
<Hopper18l.jpg>

Today, I finally finished the five ET&WNC wood hoopers.
While testing how they handle on a train, I couldn't resist taking video:
https://youtu.be/Nxra3Hzar6Q

The hoppers look great and nicely weathered. The video is a nice treat.
Doc Tom

On Apr 5, 2020, at 12:08 AM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Today, I finally finished the five ET&WNC wood hoopers.
While testing how they handle on a train, I couldn't resist taking video:

Thanks for sharing the finished product.

Bill Uffelman

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 8:24 AM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
The hoppers look great and nicely weathered. The video is a nice treat.
Doc Tom

On Apr 5, 2020, at 12:08 AM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Today, I finally finished the five ET&WNC wood hoopers.
While testing how they handle on a train, I couldn't resist taking video:

Tweetsie12

Nice! Those are really pretty!