Topics

Fun with pan pastels

Dean Smith

I had too much fun colorizing a black and white photo of downtown Johnson City today. The 1920's scene is from the book, "Greater Johnson City: A Pictorial History," by Ray Stahl,   I scanned the photo, adjusted it to the size I needed, and printed it on matte photo paper. I then flipped the photo to create the other side of the building.  After coloring the photos with pan pastels and chalks, I mounted them on the backdrop next to Exum Furniture.  It was a great rainy day project. I still have some final detailing to do, but the scene is coming along.

Dean

William Uffelman

Nice work.

Bill Uffelman 

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 6:26 PM, Dean Smith
<smithfive@...> wrote:
I had too much fun colorizing a black and white photo of downtown Johnson City today. The 1920's scene is from the book, "Greater Johnson City: A Pictorial History," by Ray Stahl,   I scanned the photo, adjusted it to the size I needed, and printed it on matte photo paper. I then flipped the photo to create the other side of the building.  After coloring the photos with pan pastels and chalks, I mounted them on the backdrop next to Exum Furniture.  It was a great rainy day project. I still have some final detailing to do, but the scene is coming along.

Dean

Tuhr

Dean:

That is very well done.  Quite realistic too...

Tuhr Barnes

From: ETWNC@groups.io <ETWNC@groups.io> on behalf of Dean Smith <smithfive@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2020 10:26:15 AM
To: ETWNC@groups.io <ETWNC@groups.io>
Subject: [ETWNC] Fun with pan pastels

Dean

Tom Grabenstein

Dean,

This is beautiful and a nice mini tutorial on colorizing old photos. I will try to incorporate these ideas in On30 as my layout grows. Thank you. Dr Tom.

On Nov 21, 2020, at 6:33 PM, Tuhr <MrTuhr@...> wrote:

Dean:

That is very well done.  Quite realistic too...

Tuhr Barnes

From: ETWNC@groups.io <ETWNC@groups.io> on behalf of Dean Smith <smithfive@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2020 10:26:15 AM
To: ETWNC@groups.io <ETWNC@groups.io>
Subject: [ETWNC] Fun with pan pastels

Dean