Topics

Foam core mockup for the depot at Linville on the Ea

William Uffelman

Good stuff Dr. Tom!

Bill Uffelman

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 8:35 PM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Ever since I've been a model railroader I have read about foam core mockups for scratch built models. Despite being in the hobby some 40 years this was the first time I have actually done this. What I had read was this is a good way to see if structures actually would fit the model railroad. And in O scale this is extremely important as the buildings and structures can be overwhelming.

So here is a foamcore mockup of the depot at Linnville on the ET and WNC railroad. I am getting closer to the look in the old prototype picture.

What I found was that the roof overhangs fouled locomotives on the track behind the station. I'm actually fudging history a bit as there was no track behind the station and only a dirt road. But I wanted a team track and it was on Ian Rice’s track plan as well. So I had to trim the roof overhang in the back so as not to decapitate the engineer on Number 12.

I lucked up as this is the only adjustment I had to make to fit the depot in between 2 railroad tracks. For sure clearance is tight but it looks like everything is coming together.

Next up will be a mock up of the hip roof. And then it's on to purchasing styrene and castings to build this nifty little depot.

Thank you for looking. Doc Tom

Tim Smith

This is great can’t wait to see the finished product.

Tim

Sent from Tim Smith's iPhone SE