Topics

ET&WNC conductor hat badge?

Lee Bishop

Does anyone know of a company which can do single or small runs of a hat badge like this? I'd love to make one...

Chris Jessee

That would be awesome.

Chris Jessee

Brian Kopp

Lee I had some one-off brass parts photo-etched for an HOn3 bridge by a British company PPD Limited.
It was a thin 0.55mm sheet of brass about 600mm x 1200mm for $70 delivered. They go up to 4mm thickness I believe.

You could half etch the loose bits in the letters and leave them attached. That is how I designed the support attachments for the bridge parts.

https://www.ppdltd.com/services/model-rail

The downside is, you have to do the design work.....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, Florida

Brian Kopp

Let me correct that brass sheet size. The 600mmx1200mm is their max size I think.
For $70 I got about 200mm by300mm, which is about 8" x12"
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, Florida

Lee Bishop

Nice idea Brian, but I don't have the expertise or software to design something like this.
There has to be a company out there somewhere who can stamp stuff like this in small numbers.
I'm a brakeman at a local tourist RR and I'd love to have a badge like this on my hat, as I'd make one for my role and conductor as next year I'll be working up to that.

Nobody cares what RR name is on our stuff, as a conductor runs with only Conrail stuff...
Note that I'm wearing a ET&WNC historical society pin on my vest!

Lee I found this place on line that does custom badges. Good luck!

http://www.sundancepins.com/

Todd P

Lee Bishop

Todd,
I'm very familiar with them and have several of their pins, but I think they only make really small stuff and 3D oriented. I contacted them with the photo above, asking if they could (hey, you never know), or know someone who can.
This is very old and simple technology, I'm sure there must be someplace out there that'll do it. Heck, though I'd rather it be a perfect replica, I'd accept something a little different, as I just want something to put on my conductor hat,
BTW, see the chinstrap on my own hat? That came off my Army service hat as I didn't like the twisted yellow yarn one that comes with the 'conductor' style ones. Heck, I hardly ever wore that hat on active duty (I can count the number of times I had to wear my Class As with just my figures and have some left over), so it might as well be seen after all these years in the same box, right?

Sundance said they could make them, but it's a $175 die setup fee and a minimum of 50.
So, that's out...

Tweetsie12

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 02:39 PM, Lee Bishop wrote:
Sundance said they could make them, but it's a $175 die setup fee and a minimum of 50.
So, that's out...

 Perhaps Not! It COULD be a limited time item available from the ET&WNC Historical Society.

Lee Bishop

Well, if someone from the group wants to make them, feel free. My wife would lose her mind if I suggested taking that expense on for something I have no reason to think would sell more than a handful...