early ET&WNC passenger car photo

Brent Greer

Found an interesting photo today in the Virginia Tech image base that I don't recall having seen before, so I thought I would share it with the group.  It is notated as "Group of the East Tenn. delegation at the junction of the Tennesee and Western North Carolina Railroad, and the East Tenn., Virginia & Georgia, at Johnson City."  It suggests a date of 1880

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

Tom Grabenstein

Love it!!! Looks like its an all guys club in 1880. Doc Tom

On Dec 16, 2020, at 4:38 PM, Brent Greer <studegator@...> wrote:

Found an interesting photo today in the Virginia Tech image base that I don't recall having seen before, so I thought I would share it with the group.  It is notated as "Group of the East Tenn. delegation at the junction of the Tennesee and Western North Carolina Railroad, and the East Tenn., Virginia & Georgia, at Johnson City."  It suggests a date of 1880

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer<ET_WNC Johnson City delegation photo.jpg>

Chris Ford

Great photo. Never seen a photo of those cars with that lettering...I'm assuming these would be the "Linville River Railway" cars, #4 etc, but my notes say they were bought second hand in 1903. So either the suggested date is not accurate (ET didn't even run 'til 1882), or I'm mis-identifying the cars (which is entirely possible, given my scant knowledge of the passenger cars).

Somebody help me here with what cars these would have been. Gotta get some sleuthing in before Christmas!  :)

Thanks for sharing Brent!

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 14:38:21 -0800, "Brent Greer" <studegator@...> wrote:

Found an interesting photo today in the Virginia Tech image base that I don't recall having seen before, so I thought I would share it with the group.  It is notated as "Group of the East Tenn. delegation at the junction of the Tennesee and Western North Carolina Railroad, and the East Tenn., Virginia & Georgia, at Johnson City."  It suggests a date of 1880

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

Bill Miller

Look like standard gauge cars to me.

 Bill Miller

[...]

johnny graybeal

This is the New England Press Association. They rode the ET in 1885.I wrote about them in Volume 6. Very rare photo. This photo was in that book.
Johnny Graybeal