Topics

Combines, #15 & others

Karl & Edwina Kleeman <kleenc@...>

A letter box on the mail car was common. A friend who's dad was a RPO
clerk said it allowed people from small towns
to mail a letter without the local postmaster seeing to whom they were
sending mail.

That is what I was told. Karl Kleeman, Raleigh kleenc@...

Gary B Scoggins <Gary.B.Scoggins@...>

For whatever it's worth, my mother and her older sisters all recall vividly
times when they put mail on the 15 (in Boone) via the mail slot and had it
in the hands of the recepient before day's end. Anyone try to mail
something out of Boone recently? Who said we live in a land of progress?

johnny graybeal <johnnyg@...>

The era of fast mail goes back even further. I have a postcard that was
postmarked in Roan Mtn. at 12:00 and postmarked again in Elizabethton at
1:00. Anyone care to guess how it got there. Oh, by the way the date is
1908.
Johnny graybeal

For whatever it's worth, my mother and her older sisters all recall vividly
times when they put mail on the 15 (in Boone) via the mail slot and had it
in the hands of the recepient before day's end. Anyone try to mail
something out of Boone recently? Who said we live in a land of progress?

Curtis Brookshire <curtis.brookshire@...>

That train must have been a "fast mail" to make it from Roan Mountain to
Elizabethton in one hour and go through the Gorge. Guess the times are
approximate.
Curtis

For whatever it's worth, my mother and her older sisters all recall
vividly
times when they put mail on the 15 (in Boone) via the mail slot and had it
in the hands of the recepient before day's end. Anyone try to mail
something out of Boone recently? Who said we live in a land of progress?

Charles Brumbelow <cbrumbelow@...>

Some (all?) Knoxville TN streetcars had mail slots . . . Charles

For whatever it's worth, my mother and her older sisters all recall vividly
times when they put mail on the 15 (in Boone) via the mail slot and had it
in the hands of the recepient before day's end. Anyone try to mail
something out of Boone recently? Who said we live in a land of progress?

baskette@...

An hour to go some 20 miles, not bad but isn't it down hill all the way ???? I
bet the reply to that post card took at least two hours. 8^)

Mike Baskette