Topics

"Broad Gauge" modeling

Dean Smith

I've been dabbling in a bit of "broad gauge" modeling recently by building a Funaro and Camerlengo resin kit of a Southern Railway caboose. Engine 5 prepares to add Caboose X2714 to the east end of the standard gauge westbound local on June 11, 1925. I still have several more standard gauge cars to add to my fleet, but having the caboose done is a big step. Dual gauge operation adds a whole new dimension to the action at Johnson City.

Tom Grabenstein

A nice looking addition to the action in Johnson City Tennessee. Thanks for sharing. Dr Tom

On Jun 11, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

I've been dabbling in a bit of "broad gauge" modeling recently by building a Funaro and Camerlengo resin kit of a Southern Railway caboose. Engine 5 prepares to add Caboose X2714 to the east end of the standard gauge westbound local on June 11, 1925. I still have several more standard gauge cars to add to my fleet, but having the caboose done is a big step. Dual gauge operation adds a whole new dimension to the action at Johnson City. <16. Switching caboose.jpg>

William Uffelman

Looks good. Is your layout set up that a NG loco can tack cars onto a SG train?

Bill Uffelman

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 7:25 AM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
A nice looking addition to the action in Johnson City Tennessee. Thanks for sharing. Dr Tom

On Jun 11, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

I've been dabbling in a bit of "broad gauge" modeling recently by building a Funaro and Camerlengo resin kit of a Southern Railway caboose. Engine 5 prepares to add Caboose X2714 to the east end of the standard gauge westbound local on June 11, 1925. I still have several more standard gauge cars to add to my fleet, but having the caboose done is a big step. Dual gauge operation adds a whole new dimension to the action at Johnson City. <16. Switching caboose.jpg>

Dean Smith

Yes. I use Kadee #714 couplers on all of my standard gauge cars and mount them at narrow gauge height.  Fortunately, there is no need for swivel couplers on the locomotives like the ones on the prototype. While it is physically possible to do so, I don’t allow pulling standard gauge cars with narrow gauge cars or vice versa, since the couplers wouldn’t really line up. A locomotive is required.  However, I do allow pushing cars since they could be poled, although the practice is discouraged.  One of the Johnson City Yard Master’s morning responsibilities it to gather all SG cars in the yard and block them onto a siding.  Usually in the early afternoon, a Southern Railway local freight arrives, drops off one cut of cars and picks up the other.  The Yard Master then switches the new cars to the appropriate sidings based on a switch list. All this in addition to the narrow gauge switching. I’m able to keep two operators busy at Johnson City throughout a session.

Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] "Broad Gauge" modeling

<tomgmd@...> wrote:
A nice looking addition to the action in Johnson City Tennessee. Thanks for sharing. Dr Tom

On Jun 11, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

I've been dabbling in a bit of "broad gauge" modeling recently by building a Funaro and Camerlengo resin kit of a Southern Railway caboose. Engine 5 prepares to add Caboose X2714 to the east end of the standard gauge westbound local on June 11, 1925. I still have several more standard gauge cars to add to my fleet, but having the caboose done is a big step. Dual gauge operation adds a whole new dimension to the action at Johnson City. <16. Switching caboose.jpg>

William Uffelman

That's cool. Irony is that ETWNC mounted their NG couplers at SG height as I recall. Either way NG RULES!

Bill Uffelman

Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 7:18 AM

<tomgmd@...> wrote:
A nice looking addition to the action in Johnson City Tennessee. Thanks for sharing. Dr Tom

On Jun 11, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

I've been dabbling in a bit of "broad gauge" modeling recently by building a Funaro and Camerlengo resin kit of a Southern Railway caboose. Engine 5 prepares to add Caboose X2714 to the east end of the standard gauge westbound local on June 11, 1925. I still have several more standard gauge cars to add to my fleet, but having the caboose done is a big step. Dual gauge operation adds a whole new dimension to the action at Johnson City. <16. Switching caboose.jpg>

Dean Smith

I know.  I had to decide early on if I wanted to modify a fleet of narrow gauge locomotives and cars to SG standards, or one SG locomotive and a dozen or so cars to narrow gauge standards.  It wasn’t a hard decision!

Dean

Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 7:18 AM

<tomgmd@...> wrote:
A nice looking addition to the action in Johnson City Tennessee. Thanks for sharing. Dr Tom

On Jun 11, 2020, at 11:19 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

I've been dabbling in a bit of "broad gauge" modeling recently by building a Funaro and Camerlengo resin kit of a Southern Railway caboose. Engine 5 prepares to add Caboose X2714 to the east end of the standard gauge westbound local on June 11, 1925. I still have several more standard gauge cars to add to my fleet, but having the caboose done is a big step. Dual gauge operation adds a whole new dimension to the action at Johnson City. <16. Switching caboose.jpg>

William Uffelman

Good choice!

Bill Uffelman