Topics

Better pilots for Bachmann ten-wheelers?

Lee Bishop

I recently started looking at the pilots on the Bachmann ten-wheelers in On30, and noticed they don't match the photos I have of the real engines in service. I'm not sure what they used for the design, perhaps as they got shipped from Baldwin? They sure don't meet what they looked like in the 40s and 50s.

If I could figure out the angles and measurements, I'd love to make some of my own, but that'd be a lot of work (and I'd have to take into account the difference between On30 coupler height compared to the real scale height).
Anyone here wanna try to take this on as a 3D print? I don't have the skills, software or experience to try that myself.

Looking at other shots, I now realize they modelled them at the end of their service life. The wood pilots got swapped by boiler tube ones sometime in the 40s, as 10 and 14 are shown on the flatcars to leave for Alaska with the wood pilots in place.
Still, I bet there'd be a market for the pilots that came earlier. I'd sure pay for a 3D print of a wood pilot!

Tim Smith

You should have Other pilots In all the extra parts that came with the engines. One of the other pilots is pretty much the same as the original style.

Tim

Sent from Tim Smith's iPhone SE

On Feb 3, 2021, at 6:31 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Looking at other shots, I now realize they modelled them at the end of their service life. The wood pilots got swapped by boiler tube ones sometime in the 40s, as 10 and 14 are shown on the flatcars to leave for Alaska with the wood pilots in place.
Still, I bet there'd be a market for the pilots that came earlier. I'd sure pay for a 3D print of a wood pilot!

Beautiful pictures. Prototype and model.  Dr Tom

On Feb 3, 2021, at 5:26 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

I recently started looking at the pilots on the Bachmann ten-wheelers in On30, and noticed they don't match the photos I have of the real engines in service. I'm not sure what they used for the design, perhaps as they got shipped from Baldwin? They sure don't meet what they looked like in the 40s and 50s.
<11.jpg><Model.jpg>
If I could figure out the angles and measurements, I'd love to make some of my own, but that'd be a lot of work (and I'd have to take into account the difference between On30 coupler height compared to the real scale height).
Anyone here wanna try to take this on as a 3D print? I don't have the skills, software or experience to try that myself.

Tim,
If you listened really hard and faced west, you probably heard me say, "SON OF A..." off in the distance.
I never really paid much attention to the spare parts box as I noticed several items that wouldn't work for the ET&WNC (like the wood bunker sides for the tender and flued domes). I'd never noticed there was the right pilot in there. Had I noticed, I'd have swapped them out on day one!
While my face is quite red (both from embarrassment and the glee of having what I want now), I'm very grateful you posted that as I could see myself trying to scratchbuild sets of them.
This is why this group is so good, as even other On30 types might not have known what I was looking for.
Thanks again!
Tom, thanks for the kind words, too.

Tim Smith

It’s all good....The factory pilots on 11 and 12 in black are right for the post war era. The 9 would have had the other era. I’ve left all mine the factory pilot cause it’s just good enough for me.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 7:20 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tim,
If you listened really hard and faced west, you probably heard me say, "SON OF A..." off in the distance.
I never really paid much attention to the spare parts box as I noticed several items that wouldn't work for the ET&WNC (like the wood bunker sides for the tender and flued domes). I'd never noticed there was the right pilot in there. Had I noticed, I'd have swapped them out on day one!
While my face is quite red (both from embarrassment and the glee of having what I want now), I'm very grateful you posted that as I could see myself trying to scratchbuild sets of them.
This is why this group is so good, as even other On30 types might not have known what I was looking for.
Thanks again!
Tom, thanks for the kind words, too.

I painted and mounted them all last night.