Topics

An Interesting Layout Concept...

Tweetsie12

So, I've been planning an ET&WNC-Based Garden Railroad for some time now. Originally, I considered building an interpretation of the ET&WNC/Linville River from Cranberry to Boone called the "Cranberry, Grandfather Mountain, and Boone Railroad" (Alternate title is Linville River Garden Railroad), However, as I was walking the other day, another idea that I really liked came into my head: A fictional extension of the ET&WNC to Blowing Rock. I know it's an idea that's existed for awhile, as the idea of an extension to Blowing Rock was first proposed in the "Watauga Democrat" Back in December of '24 (As seen on the ET&WNC Historical Society's page), but I honestly think it would be interesting to go and try and model what that may have been like. I'd imagine of the traffic on the line would be passenger traffic, since Blowing Rock was, and very much still is, a tourist town, with the only freight traffic seen on the railroad being the occasional maintenance train. (or maybe a small logging company decided to set up shop along the line, but IDK...) While I still really like the idea of building an interpretation of the line from Cranberry to Boone as a Garden Railroad, I also find the concept of building a mythical "Blowing Rock Extension" to be full of promise as well. What do y'all think of my idea?

Joe Austin

I think it's a great idea!
The great thing about this hobby is you can do whatever you like, and if you do it well,
those you invite to share it will express their admiration!  But in any case, it is yours to enjoy.

But seriously, it has occurred to me that one of the unsung virtues of model railroading is historical preservation.  For example, our N club created a replica of a few blocks of our town. I've seen dioramas in museums with replicas of historical RR structures or areas.

If you are faithful to the topography and era, your model could be a real cultural treasure.

One of the Tweetise books has a drawing of a hypothetical articulated loco for the line;
I've often thought of trying to bring it to life.

Joseph Austin