From what I hear, this weekend is one to not be missed!

Matt Bumgarner

From: Chris Ford
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2019 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Getting the lettering right for early 1920's Hopper cars.

Well, didn't mean to get the same photo in there twice. Let's try again!

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 15:03:50 -0400, "Chris Ford" <chris@...> wrote:

Here ya go....coal on the left, magnetite on the right. Included a photo with a black background to give some reference. The magnetite also has a little "sparkle" to it in places...I'm sure one of our geologists could tell us why.  :)

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 17:22:12 -0500, "Tom Grabenstein" <tomgmd@...> wrote:

Thank you Chris for the very fast response. Anyway you could snap a picture or two, particularly of the magnetite? That would give a lot of information. I'm thinking we're in the dark gray/Gray/Black Colors and certainly no red color.

Doc Tom

On Aug 18, 2019, at 10:47 AM, Chris Ford <chris@...> wrote:

Good questions Tom! While I don't know about the sheet metal question, I do have a chunk of coal from the Cranberry engine house site and a lump of magnetite (very heavy and attracts a magnet) sitting on my desk. They are both basically the same color.

Now some of the chunks of magnetite mined would have had a few impurities in them and may have appeared to be a dark gray, so a mix would probably be appropriate. And of course if you had a load of spoils going to be dumped as ballast then that would have been a mix of black, dark gray and medium gray. However, I don't know if they would have hauled spoils in the ore cars or maybe gons, and of course the side dump cars. Johnny may know more about that process.

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 09:54:12 -0500, "Tom Grabenstein" <tomgmd@...> wrote:

Thanks everybody. Johnny’s help greatly appreciated.

One of the hoppers is scratchbuilt and I will number it #1 as it was the first one built for my model railroad. It also has wooden bolsters like the prototype.

I'm getting a lot of questions about these interesting Rail cars on other model railroading websites. One question is did the early hoppers(early 1920s in my case) have sheet metal covering the slopes or were they bare wood as in my models? It is apparent that the post 1936 cars have sheet metal covering in the pictures I reviewed. I wonder if the bare wood would handle the daily pounding of iron ore being dumped into the cars? On the other hand, I like the individual boards and nail holes that show up without a covering. So Tweetsie RR archaeologists what do y' all think? The quest for historical accuracy continues.

Another question I have for you fine gentlemen, is what is the color of the iron ore mined at Cranberry? I will be making removable loads of coal and iron ore for these hopper cars. I think I have the color of coal down but the color of iron ore I'm not so certain. The taconite pellets I have seen are quite red and Rusty in appearance. I'm not so sure that's the good stuff coming from Cranberry was that color. Do y’ all have any thoughts on this as well?

I really appreciate the chance to discuss this with fellow fans of the ET&WNC and not sound so much like a raving rivet counter.

Doc Tom

William L Vanderburg

I wonder how hard or what logistics to overcome to have restored rolling stock trucked there to assemble a freight train?

Now that would be a heritage day for the history books.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 4:54 PM matt bumgarner <matt@...> wrote:
I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but there is going to be a spectacular Heritage Weekend this weekend at Tweetsie.

The double-headed steam train in the morning and the coach trains in the afternoon, plus a very, very special twist that will be unveiled on Saturday.

From what I hear, this weekend is one to not be missed!

[...]

I'd never even thought of that, but trucking up the two boxcars and caboose 505 (and/or combine 15) to be pulled behind #12?
I'd walk to Blowing Rock from here (in the Pacific NW) to see that!
Lee Bishop

matt bumgarner

Roughly $10,000 per piece roundtrip for the boxcars and caboose, though you could probably get a package deal with discounts if you moved all 3.

Triple that for the combine, based on the costs when it was moved to Spencer 20+ years ago.

You also have the costs of getting the cars run-worthy. Boxcar 434 has operable trucks, and we have braking equipment, but it is not installed.  The boxcar in E-town does not have any brakes at all and I am not sure of the worthiness of the trucks it is on. 505 looks to have good trucks, but I don’t think any brake equipment is installed. I believe the trucks on the combine had some serious defects. Someone closer to those projects could probably chime in and elaborate more.

Matt Bumgarner

[...]

OK So who built or who brought the ET flat car this weekend?  Since we were just discussing bringing freight equipment....

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:14 PM matt bumgarner <matt@...> wrote:
[...]

Andy

Edited

A photo of #12 pulling the mixed train with EBT No. 5 at Tweetsie was posted on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Group. It's a great photo.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,376483

William L Vanderburg

OK So does Tweetsie own the flat?

A photo of #12 pulling the mixed train with EBT No. 5 at Tweetsie was poated on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Group. It's a great photo.

On 2019-08-28 21:15, William L Vanderburg wrote:
OK So does Tweetsie own the flat?

Yes they do.

Matt Bumgarner