On30 #3

Tim Smith

For the last few weeks when I have time I have been converting a Broadway c16 from a D&RGW 278 to the ET&WNC #3. The process required me to completely disassemble the engine. Also did away with the BLI tender for a on30 2-6-0 tender.

I chose the to paint it similar to the as built look. With a lettering scheme from around 1900. I added a box headlight and brass stack to the boiler. The weight of the stack has made her a little better puller than the 6.

I also added electrical pick up to the tender and installed a tcs wow sound. That being said the headlight is programmed to firebox flicker giving the box light to look of a kerosene lamp.

I still have to add a wood load to the tender and add an air tank under the cab. But for the most part it is done.

What’s next? Well I’m looking at trying to make another c-16 into the 1. But it will be a while on that as my summer schedule leaves little time to model.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone 12

William Uffelman

Very nice!

Bill Uffelman

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 9:05 AM, Tim Smith
<smith.tim12@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom Grabenstein

That is a beautiful model of a unique prototype. I like that you backdated it and made it historically accurate.

Dr Tom

On Mar 27, 2021, at 8:05 AM, Tim Smith <smith.tim12@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image3.jpeg>

Mark Lewis

Tim,

Spectacular results, to your makover!

You have certainly raised the bar, regarding ET&WNC On30 locomotive possibilities.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021, 9:42 AM Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:
That is a beautiful model of a unique prototype. I like that you backdated it and made it historically accurate.

Dr Tom

> On Mar 27, 2021, at 8:05 AM, Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:
>
> For the last few weeks when I have time I have been converting a Broadway c16 from a D&RGW 278 to the ET&WNC #3.   The process required me to completely disassemble the engine. Also did away with the BLI tender for a on30 2-6-0 tender.
>

> I chose the to paint it similar to the as built look. With a lettering scheme from around 1900.  I added a box headlight and brass stack to the boiler. The weight of the stack has made her a little better puller than the 6.
>

> I also added electrical pick up to the tender and installed a tcs wow sound. That being said the headlight is programmed to firebox flicker giving the box light to look of a kerosene lamp.
>
> I still have to add a wood load to the tender and add an air tank under the cab.  But for the most part it is done.
>
> What’s next?  Well I’m looking at trying to make another c-16 into the 1.  But it will be a while on that as my summer schedule leaves little time to model.
>
> Tim
>

> Sent from my iPhone 12
>

> <image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image3.jpeg>

Lee Bishop

Really good work, I think you might be the first to try any serious conversion like that in O scale.
Ive been meaning to ask, what is your era? Looks like about 1910 or so?
Stoney Creek branch of the ET&WNC in On30

Tim Smith

My era...well it started out as WWII onwards, then came 10, 14, 8, 6 and now 3.  So there really is no era specific here. Im just having fun modeling the old tweetsie.  But my towns and such are being built for the WWII era.

--
Tim Smith
Train Shop Lead

Curtis Brookshire

Really nice job. Now a few questions: What paint and colors did you use for a. the boiler b. the tender and cab. What source is your lettering?

Keep up the good work,
Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level NC

Tim Smith

The green is Tamiya Olive Drab 2, the smoke box is testors German solder gray, the jacket is testors gunmetal, all the trim is paint pins from hobby lobby. The letters are just standard micro scale gold decals. Nothing special here that you can’t buy at a hobby shop.

On Mar 28, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Curtis Brookshire via groups.io <curtis.brookshire@...> wrote:

Really nice job. Now a few questions: What paint and colors did you use for a. the boiler b. the tender and cab. What source is your lettering?

Keep up the good work,
Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level NC

I love it. More pics please!

Todd P

On Mar 28, 2021, at 9:03 AM, Tim Smith <smith.tim12@...> wrote:

The green is Tamiya Olive Drab 2, the smoke box is testors German solder gray, the jacket is testors gunmetal, all the trim is paint pins from hobby lobby. The letters are just standard micro scale gold decals. Nothing special here that you can’t buy at a hobby shop.

On Mar 28, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Curtis Brookshire via groups.io <curtis.brookshire@...> wrote:

Really nice job. Now a few questions: What paint and colors did you use for a. the boiler b. the tender and cab. What source is your lettering?

Keep up the good work,
Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level NC

Tim Smith