Lee,

I really enjoyed your presentation and passion for ET&WNC on display at last nights Zoom meeting. It was nice to see so many people from a variety of locations in attendance. Thanks for answering my question about turntables too. That was helpful as I slowly build my On30 layout. Keep up the good work.

Dr Tom

On Feb 19, 2021, at 11:44 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

Lee,
    Thanks again for the invite. Great presentation!  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dean

From: Lee Bishop
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2021 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Presentation on 2-29-21

Bob, I don't think they are uploaded elsewhere but if they are, I'll pass along where.

Tom,
Glad you liked it.
It went much longer than others have, which I took as a good sign.
Sorry I didn't catch your name in context at the time, I was too busy going through the presentation and then answering questions.
I know it was recorded, so when it's posted somewhere, I'll share the link with the group.

You are welcome. In fact, your talk inspired me to get an engineer into hard working #6 , a 2-8-0 consolidation. It is no longer a “ghost train.”

On Feb 20, 2021, at 2:45 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tom,
Glad you liked it.
It went much longer than others have, which I took as a good sign.
Sorry I didn't catch your name in context at the time, I was too busy going through the presentation and then answering questions.
I know it was recorded, so when it's posted somewhere, I'll share the link with the group.

Lee,
    I will also be “populating” the rest of my locomotives in the near future. Another good point you made was to have all figures in static positions. I always try to follow this rule as well, even if the figure is just pausing for a few seconds. The first time I read about this concept was in an “At the Throttle” article by Linn Wescott in Model Railroader when I was a teenager. For some reason, that article really made an impression on me. Thanks for another bit of nostalgia!

Dean

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Presentation on 2-19-21

You are welcome. In fact, your talk inspired me to get an engineer into hard working #6 , a 2-8-0 consolidation. It is no longer a “ghost train.”

On Feb 20, 2021, at 2:45 PM, Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:

Tom,
Glad you liked it.
It went much longer than others have, which I took as a good sign.
Sorry I didn't catch your name in context at the time, I was too busy going through the presentation and then answering questions.
I know it was recorded, so when it's posted somewhere, I'll share the link with the group.

The group edited my presentation, here it is for those who might be interested but didn't catch it in real time.
Click here to watch it

Ryan Rice

Lee,
Very nice. I know nothing about the model train world (just a fan of ET&WNC), but I really enjoyed this. A lot of it was over my head but the amount of work and detail is amazing. Very impressive.
I am a photographer so I definitely enjoyed the photos of your layout. What camera/lens do you use to take most of your photos (the only one I heard mentioned was the GoPro for the inside photo of the store)?
I also have a lot of CAD experience and have thought about trying to get into modeling some items for 3D printing.

Thanks,
Ryan

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:42 PM Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:
The group edited my presentation, here it is for those who might be interested but didn't catch it in real time.
Click here to watch it

Ryan Rice

Oh, I forgot to add, I am from Stoney Creek.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 10:19 AM Ryan Rice via groups.io <whiteonrice04=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Lee,
Very nice. I know nothing about the model train world (just a fan of ET&WNC), but I really enjoyed this. A lot of it was over my head but the amount of work and detail is amazing. Very impressive.
I am a photographer so I definitely enjoyed the photos of your layout. What camera/lens do you use to take most of your photos (the only one I heard mentioned was the GoPro for the inside photo of the store)?
I also have a lot of CAD experience and have thought about trying to get into modeling some items for 3D printing.

Thanks,
Ryan

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 11:42 PM Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:
The group edited my presentation, here it is for those who might be interested but didn't catch it in real time.
Click here to watch it

Ryan, my Dad's childhood home was on Hurley Hollow, I went up there every year, growing up. Mom grew up just before the JN Taylor store at Sadie.
As for my camera, I use a Canon Rebel on a tripod of placed on the layout with long exposures (usually around 2 minutes). Most smoke and steam effects you see in those shots were done in the original image, as I hate putting those in with Photoshop later.
Long exposures cure a lot of depth of field issues, and is an old-school method.

Ryan Rice

What I find interesting is I was born and raised in that area (lived there for 22 years and my sister still lives in my childhood home). Went to Hunter and Unaka High from K-12 and have never heard the names "Winner", "Sadie" or "Buladeen". I'm an 80-90s kid so maybe my generation just didn't use those names as much.
Names I always heard and used are "Hunter", "Blue Springs", "Siam" (which is not really part of Stoney Creek) or "Stoney Creek" and then the individual hollow (holler as it is pronounced there) names...like Hurley Hollow, Blevins Hollow, Peters Hollow, etc.
Google maps also has an area in Siam labeled "Dogtown". I literally never heard that once in my life.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 1:14 PM Lee Bishop <leebishop1944@...> wrote:
Ryan, my Dad's childhood home was on Hurley Hollow, I went up there every year, growing up. Mom grew up just before the JN Taylor store at Sadie.
As for my camera, I use a Canon Rebel on a tripod of placed on the layout with long exposures (usually around 2 minutes). Most smoke and steam effects you see in those shots were done in the original image, as I hate putting those in with Photoshop later.
Long exposures cure a lot of depth of field issues, and is an old-school method.

My folks were born and raised there, both born in '36. I heard Buladeen lots of times and Siam as well, but I don't think I knew Hurley Hollow was at Sadie until a few years ago. You can look at online maps and they list all these as unincorporated towns. To me, it always looked like rural sprawl with no start of end along the main road.
My Dad thinks those names were station names on the old Stoney Creek Railroad which went belly up around 1932. I have no idea if that's correct, as the only book I've ever found that mentions the railroad doesn't go into it.
Frankly, I wish I had named the stations after Hurley Hollow, Dry Branch, Speedwell and places the locals know today, but it didn't seem correct to do so.
Dad says that as a kid, he used the old roadbed of that line to hunt and fish, but that has been since the last time I've been there, so I would imagine today you might not be able to find any traces.
In my layout concept, my line was competing railroad to that one and survived into the 30s to be bought out by the ET&WNC. Maybe I should have just called it that line made it later in history, but hindsight is always 20-20
Oh, pretty much everyone in my family in my parent's generation went to Unaka High. I'm drawing a blank, but they went to that elementary school that's at the base of Hurley Hollow as well. Just can't think of the name right now...
Speaking of Unaka High, when I was in art school, I did a comic book that takes place after an economic and political apocalypse, where a bunch of Air Force reservists were flying WW2 and 50s prop-driven airplanes and using Unaka High for their base of operations against Cubans trying to take control of the Watauga dam (and eventually booming it with a B-25). I never wrote part 2, which would have used their last F-16 fighter against a Russian nuke and wiping out the entire valley. So, the idea of using that area for fictional stuff isn't new to me.

Sheldon Daitch

For some reason, I can't seem to locate the email with the link to that presentation.

Would someone be so kind as to repeat the email with the link?

Thanks,

Sheldon

Lee Bishop

Brian Kopp

Lee,
I watched the presentation last night.  It was great. I enjoyed all the history details too.....

BTW, I am only an occasional visitor to the ETWNC area with no local roots...... =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, Florida