Topics

Harry and his "Hack" at the Linville Depot

Tom Grabenstein

Harry and his “Hack” (1912 Model T Depot Hack from Keith Wiseman models) have been humping all day to get the luggage of gentlemen and ladies moved from the Linville Depot on the ET&WNC over to the Esceola lodge.

He is pooped and so GLAD that tomorrow is Labor Day and maybe the trains won’t run and he can rest his tired back and his tired 9 year old beast of burden.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Tweetsie12

Thanks for sharing Doc! Though, knowing the ET&WNC, I don't think Harry's getting any sort of a break anytime soon...

Dean Smith

Doc,
    Great job, as always. I love the way you continue to tell stories.

Thanks for sharing Doc! Though, knowing the ET&WNC, I don't think Harry's getting any sort of a break anytime soon...

William Uffelman

Another excellent report on activity at Linville!

Bill Uffelman

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 7:40 PM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
Harry and his “Hack” (1912 Model T Depot Hack from Keith Wiseman models) have been humping all day to get the luggage of gentlemen and ladies moved from the Linville Depot on the ET&WNC over to the Esceola lodge.

He is pooped and so GLAD that tomorrow is Labor Day and maybe the trains won’t run and he can rest his tired back and his tired 9 year old beast of burden.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Curtis Brookshire

More great photos and another vignette bringing the narrow gauge back to life in the 21st century.

Tom, you bring up an interesting question. A quick check of timetables from my Official Guide issue from 1926 and the Spring/Summer 2017 issue of Every Time With No Complaint are silent regarding holidays. So, sorry Harry, not likely there will be no train running on Labor Day. Might even see an excursion this weekend. Go get another pitcher of sweet tea and put your feet up and rest a bit until you hear Sherman's whistle coming. Don't worry, winter comes early in these mountains, so you'll soon have less visitors to haul.

Happy Labor Day,
Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level, NC

Tom Grabenstein

Thanks for this information. Thank you for also looking at the pictures and commenting. Sounds like Harry’s got his work cut out on Labor Day. I’m sure there was a lot of vacationers that weekend to the cool of the mountains. Dr. Tom