Topics

Electricity down on the farm.

Tom Grabenstein

Electricity was extremely rare in the rural Blue Ridge Mountains in 1920-1924. Geraldo’s kid “Sparkie”rigged up a crude generator to harness the water power in the creek out back of the farm. This allowed a simple light at the barn to turn night in to day.

Cy Crumley stopped the train to catch a view of this new fangled invention of Sparkie’s.

Old man Geraldo prefers the kerosene lantern in his cabin and doubts that ‘tricity’ will ever catch on in these parts.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Tweetsie12

Wow! That's pretty cool! Keep up the great work Tom! I can't wait to see what you have planned next!

William Uffelman

Really coming along! Looks great.

Bill Uffelman

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 9:09 PM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
Electricity was extremely rare in the rural Blue Ridge Mountains in 1920-1924. Geraldo’s kid “Sparkie”rigged up a crude generator to harness the water power in the creek out back of the farm. This allowed a simple light at the barn to turn night in to day.

Cy Crumley stopped the train to catch a view of this new fangled invention of Sparkie’s.

Old man Geraldo prefers the kerosene lantern in his cabin and doubts that ‘tricity’ will ever catch on in these parts.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Dean Smith

Tom,
    This looks great!  Thanks for the idea about “Sparkie.”  I have lights in my gas station at Hampton, which is actually a model of my grandpa’s station from the ‘30s, and also in a church.  I  know it’s not exactly prototypic, so I can now tell people that Sparkie came to Hampton to help out the locals. I also have a “kerosene” lantern in the nearby hunters’ cabin. I guess ET minds think alike.  Thanks for sharing.

Dean