Topics

ET&WNC #210 on the prowl.

Tom Grabenstein

Hi Chris,

Love those rusty pictures….far gone weathering!!

I could not get the stem winder photos to open.

Thanks for sharing.

Doc Tom. (mid state Tennessee)

Chris Ford

Sorry, I'll ask one thing that I should have put in the earlier email below...

In the RS3 story from the Stemwinder, number 209 appears in 2 different paint schemes. If the dates on the photos are to be believed, and there's no reason not to unless someone knows different, it looks like the photo from 1970 shows number 209 in black with a band of Southern "white" and a gold stripe. The 1975 photo obviously shows it in black with an orange band, the paint scheme on them when they were retired.

Okay, if they were delivered from Southern painted black and orange in 1967 (according to the story), then re-painted to black and "white" just a few years later, then re-painted again back to black and orange within a few years. Whew...keeping the paint shop busy!  :)

When were they (or at least #209) painted with the "white" band? Seems like a lot of painting/re-painting going on within just a few years. I'm sure someone on this list knows the answer!

On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 16:45:44 -0500, "Chris Ford" wrote:

All,

Since we seem to have RS3 fever (a good fever to have, mind you) here's links to a couple of Stemwinder stories on the RS3s...

http://www.cfordart.com/3-2Stemwinder1990RS3.pdf

http://www.cfordart.com/17-1Stemwinder2006RS3.pdf

And here's links to a couple of photos of the "last paint scheme" they ever had...

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/1989junefullsize/12fullsize.html

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/1989junefullsize/13fullsize.html

I'll say that I think they look "more right" (is that a term?) with the Southern diesel gold lettering that the ET used on them....but it's always fun seeing them however the owner has decided to paint them.

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 10:36:00 -0600, "Tom Grabenstein" wrote:

Thank you Lee for this is excellent advice!!  One of the guys at the club has an RS3 lettered for the 1960’s/1970’s Southern RR. Nice to know there are decals available to take this:

To this:

I appreciate the very quick response. I will try to get the decals ordered today.

[...]

I built a HO scale 209 out of an Atlas RS3 many years before, using an article on how to model Southern RS3s. Sorry, I dont recall which magazone that was, but it was in the later 1980s.
Anyway, I used a microscale Southern RR diesel decal set, the one that had the ampersand in Savanna and Atlanta. I built the "W" by chopping up two letter As from that set.
I sold it off when I left HO for good in the 90s.
Masking off the body for the orange stripe was easy. You could also use a pre-marked SRR one and use chemicals to remove the letters and numbers, to represent either 209 or 210 before the orange stripe was added to both.
Lee

Tom Grabenstein

Hello ET& WNC enthusiasts,

While I am planning an On30 layout paying homage to the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad I wanted to dabble in some modeling of it on our HO  club here in Clarksville Tennessee.

I really enjoy this picture of locomotive number 210 probably after the swap for the steam engines to the Southern Railroad.

So I got a RS 3 locomotive off eBay and painted it black with some weathering and lettered it for our favorite railroad.
Here it is earning its keep on the Clarksville Model Railroad HO layout.

Why it even went so far as to wander in to the Nashville rail yard hauling a coal train.

I haven’t figured out how to do the cool white and gold stripe (pre brillant orange stripe of later years) yet. Anybody know some good custom model painters?

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom