Topics

#9's number plate question #9's

Lee Bishop

Does anyone have a clue why the ET painted 9's number plate with a silver insert instead of the red it carried beforehand? Plenty of photos in the war years show it wasn't painted red and I've always wondered why.

-Lee

johnny graybeal

There are numerous photos that show the other engines to have aluminum paint in the center of the plate during the depression. Yet there are photos of the 9 during the depression that showed it in its "normal" scheme. To me it was  a matter of what paint there was more of at the time. The 9 was not exclusive in having an aluminum painted plate.
Johnny Graybeal

Lee Bishop

Johnny,

I model the ET in the summer of 1943, and only the 9 had an aluminum-painted insert. I don't recall ever seeing photos of 10, 11, 12 or 14 with it. I've looked through my copy of your ten-wheeler book and maybe I missed the reference of others having the same paint on the number plates of other locos...

-Lee