Topics

ET&WNC painting print, is there really a market for this?

Lee Bishop

I assume many of you have seen this already? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rainy-Day-At-Cranberry-a-railroad-painting-of-Tweetsie-/111162633646?pt=Art_Paintings&;hash=item19e1cf2dae#ht_133wt_962
I know what photo he used to base this on (as I'm certain many of you do, too), but it's one of the better ET paintings I've seen. I have never before really seen a good ET painting that didn't have some manner of error in it or had a style I just didn't `click' with. I'm an artist myself (b/w, mostly ink and pencils and graphic design work) so I'm pretty tough to please with art. But if this guy ever put this painting into print form, I'd probably buy and hang it. There's more on it here: http://www.doncokerart.com/blog/?p=909 I'd be tempted to e-mail the guy to see if he could do prints of it, but I'm not 100% sure that there'd be that strong a market for it.
I would have thought that a good historically-correct and well-executed ET theme print would do well, but I must remember how tight a market there is for something like that (and how glutted the RR art market is, which is why I never tried to break into it).
But I'm curious, would there ever be a market for a ET print?

James Eric Furr

I would have to see it first then I may purchase one.

Eric Furr

In a message dated 9/10/2013 3:54:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, p51@... writes:

[...]

Richard Blanchard

John Coker is a friend of mine, and if you look at many of the NG&SLG Gazettes his work is on the cover. He does offer 'giclee' prints of his paintings, so go to his web site and check. I am not sure "doncooker" is correct so try "johncoker" instead.

Rick

On Sep 10, 2013, at 1:54 PM, "Lee Bishop" <p51@...> wrote:

[...]

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   Tweetsie-digest@...
   Tweetsie-fullfeatured@...

tuhr.barnes@...

Rick:  I believe this is a different Coker.  I had the same thought to begin with but "Don Coker" is from the Carolina's while John Coker is from Colorado.

Tuhr Barnes

On Sep 10, 2013, at 8:14 PM, "Rick" <rick@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tuhr, didn't realize that. Never mind....

Rick

On Sep 10, 2013, at 6:16 PM, tuhr.barnes@... wrote:

[...]

John Coker does have an outstanding Tweetsie print available on his web site.  I have a giclee (a specialized process that is much more vibrant than just a standard print) and it looks much better in person.  It was on the cover of the NG&SLG many years ago.  I believe the original was at Tweetsie RR but alas was lost in the depot fire?

Several others over the years have sold various Tweetsie prints (Don Iverson and Jordan come to mind) so yes, I believe there is an active first purchase market, doubt there is any secondary market.

Tuhr

On Sep 10, 2013, at 8:24 PM, "Rick" <rick@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick Perry

Ya'll,
The painting is by DON Coker, not John Coker. No relation. Don is a former newspaper artist/art director(was down sized a few years ago), lives in Columbus Ga not far from list member Ray Montgomery. Don is a very good artist working in all mediums from water colors to oils and acrylics. He did the Sylvania Central cover on Mal Ferrels two part slow trains down south and also Larry Goolsby's Atlanta, Birmingham and Atlantic book.
Don did a few prints in past but in as much as he lost his good paying job, I doubt he would be inclined to invest in making prints. That said, Don is a very likable(but art ecentric) individual and maybe if a group wanted to do prints, he might be receptive. For what it is worth, there is a very fine firm ,Lithograph, that does prints in Don Cokers hometown and he could oversee the process should such a group would form.
Let me know if I can be of any help on this as I too would like a print.
Rick Perry

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Bishop" <p51@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen

Just to add a bit more to the thread. You can see Don Coker at http://doncokerart.wix.com/art#!railroad-art
I reached out to him regarding this particular painting.  He responded that this is an original, his original, and he did not know anything about a version lost at Tweetsie.  He did mention that it was possible that this may be reproduced as a print in the future.  So, open to the idea anyway.

I appreciate the post.  I really like this painting and enjoyed finding more about his other work.

--- In Tweetsie@..., "Rick" wrote:

> Ya'll,
> The painting is by DON Coker, not John Coker. No relation. Don is a former newspaper artist/art director(was down sized a few years ago), lives in Columbus Ga not far from list member Ray Montgomery. Don is a very good artist working in all mediums from water colors to oils and acrylics. He did the Sylvania Central cover on Mal Ferrels two part slow trains down south and also Larry Goolsby's Atlanta, Birmingham and Atlantic book.
> Don did a few prints in past but in as much as he lost his good paying job, I doubt he would be inclined to invest in making prints. That said, Don is a very likable(but art ecentric) individual and maybe if a group wanted to do prints, he might be receptive. For what it is worth, there is a very fine firm ,Lithograph, that does prints in Don Cokers hometown and he could oversee the process should such a group would form.
> Let me know if I can be of any help on this as I too would like a print.
> Rick Perry
>
> --- In Tweetsie@..., "Lee Bishop" p51@ wrote:
> >
> > I assume many of you have seen this already? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rainy-Day-At-Cranberry-a-railroad-painting-of-Tweetsie-/111162633646?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item19e1cf2dae#ht_133wt_962
> > I know what photo he used to base this on (as I'm certain many of you do, too), but it's one of the better ET paintings I've seen. I have never before really seen a good ET painting that didn't have some manner of error in it or had a style I just didn't `click' with. I'm an artist myself (b/w, mostly ink and pencils and graphic design work) so I'm pretty tough to please with art. But if this guy ever put this painting into print form, I'd probably buy and hang it. There's more on it here: http://www.doncokerart.com/blog/?p=909 I'd be tempted to e-mail the guy to see if he could do prints of it, but I'm not 100% sure that there'd be that strong a market for it.
> > I would have thought that a good historically-correct and well-executed ET theme print would do well, but I must remember how tight a market there is for something like that (and how glutted the RR art market is, which is why I never tried to break into it).
> > But I'm curious, would there ever be a market for a ET print?

ray@themontgomerys.info

Don Coker is from Georgia, lives about a mile from me.  Great artist with an unusual range of talent and interests.  Contact info here:

http://www.doncokerart.com/blog/

Ray  Montgomery
ray@...
“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away”

cokerart

Hey guys,

It's me, Don Coker, not John, in the flesh. Wow, brother Ray, thanks for the endorsement! Well, I am a newbie to this group, but a member of many others. After I posted my painting to ebay I got an email from "Guv" Rick Perry, my neighbor across the Chattahoochee River, stating that y'all were talking about my painting on this list. So I figured I'd join in. I posted my intro a couple days ago, but apparently it didn't post.

To clear up some misconceptions, as I stated, I am Don, not John. John is a friend of mine and lives in Colorado, I in Georgia. We are not directly related, but we figure we are down the tree a ways. All the Coker's came into America from England in the late 1700s at Charleston. It is pretty odd that two guys named Coker are both artists and love the same subject! But here we are.

As for the painting, it is indeed an original oil painting on canvas, not a print. I have not made prints of it as of yet, but may in the future. If I do I'll let this list know. I finished the painting a few months ago and it is based on the photo in my friend, Mal Ferrell's book, The Tweetsie. Other than that, I am a Tweetsie fan as well and look forward to getting to know you guys, and to clear up one more thing, Guv Rick ain't such a bad feller once you get to know him.

If y'all have any other questions or comments, you can contact me at CokerArt@yahoo.com.

Glad to be here!
"Don" (the other white meat) Coker
Columbus, Georgia
http://doncokerart.wix.com/art#!railroad-art
http://doncokerart.com/blog/

Don Coker is from Georgia, lives about a mile from me. Great artist with an unusual range of talent and interests. Contact info here:

http://www.doncokerart.com/blog/

Ray Montgomery

David Pressley

Hi Don -

Both of your messages..... your initial intro and now this one....... have shown up in my inbox today.

I'm not sure why the first one floated around in cyberspace for several days. Maybe it got 'stuck in the tube' and needed this one to push it on through.

At any rate, welcome to the group...... you'll find an answer to most any question you've ever wanted to ask about the ET&WNC here. Chances are you'll find questions that you didn't know you wanted to ask until now as well.

David Pressley
Middle-aged guy who likes to ride trains and isn't afraid to admit that anymore!