Train #s

Lee Bishop

I'd asked this earlier but got no responses.
If ET trains didn't have #s, how'd they ID them? Were they all just ID'd by locomotive #? If so, were they ID'd in relation to where they were headed ('# 11 Eastbound from JC', as opposed to the same engine coming back from Cranberry later that day).
I'm starting to figure out operation guidelines for my ET layout and would need to have a prototypical way to ID the trains running...

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Bishop" <p51@...> wrote:

Did the ET ever have a blackboard listing of trains on any of their stations? One of the sketches in "Tweetsie Country" showed one but no photos are in any book I have (and I think I have them all). Does anyone have a photo of any train listing boards at any of the stations? I'm looking to create one for when my On30 layout is done and want to re-create a ET&WNC one if I can.

Also, did any of the trains have numbers on such a board?

RICHARD BENTON

Guessing would say trains had superiority by direction with extras being
inferior. I looked at photos in both ET books I have and found several
photos of 11 and 12 displaying white flags (day signals) on special
movements but all other photos show no signals being displayed on the
locomotives. Hope this helps.
Richard Benton
retired locomotive engineer

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Lee Bishop <p51@hotmail.com> wrote:

**

[...]

Mike West

ET trains did have numbers and #1, called "The Mail", left Boone headed west while #2, "The Mixed" headed East from JCY on workdays.  On some of my schedules I see trains listed through #6 with odd headed west and even headed east.  I believe priority was westbound, but J Graybeal, also called #1, "the Male", should be able to answer that for sure.  In Std gauge, all engines faced west and westbound trains had priority.  Since westbound trains on the ET were usually loads and since the grade was downhill, it would make sense that westbound trains had priority.
I have not seen an original train schedule board like the dwg in Tweetsie Country, but I made one just like it and use it for grandkids who sign up for train movements until their attention span runs out!mw

[...]

Ken Riddle

1 left Boone in the morning with the mail, then returned on 4 that
afternoon with the mail. 2 left Johnson City in the morning and terminated
at Cranberry and returned that afternoon on 3. The boys referred to 1 and
4 as 1 and 4 but 2 and 3 were called the Cranberry Local.

If there was yard tonnage for Elizabethton or Rittertown the yard job was
often coupled to the back of the eastbound and everything left Johnson City
tied together. The head end would have the engine and passenger train to
Boone (regular engineer Pippin and Conductor Crumley with engine 14) OR the
Cranberry Local (mostly engine 12 with Big John, Chester Ford, and Wilmer
Blevins), followed by the yard work. The narrow gauge stuff was on the
front of the yard dog, then most often the 7 with John Meridith as Engineer
and George Williams as yard conductor, followed by the standard gauge loads
and empties for Elizabethton. If they couldnt get it all over the hill
and the Clinchfield was on that end of town, the 52 would give them a
shove out of town back in the busy days.

It all slowed down after the mid-twenties and just about quit in the early
thirties, and the only regular, scheduled train was 1 and 4, the mail. As
I understood from the guys that did it, 1 and 4 went every day except
Sunday, and, when something needed to go East, it was sent out tied to the
front of number 4 and once again they all left town together. They would
split up in Elizabethton. The yard dog worked every day except in 1932-33,
when it was spotty. Later in the thirties, the plants picked up and there
were two regular yard jobs between Johnson City and Elizabethton. The 12
was in backup yard service most of the time after the Cranberry local was
cut off. I guess it was surplus with the addition of the 204 and had the
Army not taken 10 and 14 things would have not looked good for it.

Labor trains changed everything.

There was no board like the drawing in Tweetsie Country. I asked.

Ken

[...]

Ken,
Thanks for the info, did the wartime trains have #s?
Lee

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, Ken Riddle <keriddle@...> wrote:

[...]

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Lee Bishop <p51@...> wrote:

**

[...]

Day shift, three-ta-leben, and graveyard!!

According to Brownie Allison, the day shift trains made 75 stops from Elk
Park to Bemberg.