Topics

630 spotted

Patrick Leonard

Sunday noon

I just got a call from a good friend from his farm near NC 220 just south of the NC - Va line. 630 just highballed north toward Roanoke.

David Pressley

I was aboard the train yesterday. #630 is looking good and sounding good. Of equal interest to me was finally having a chance to ride the famed 'pumpkinvine' route where scheduled passenger service ended the year before I was born.

There are other intangibles - in the last 18 years I had gradually forgotten just how much fun a good, ole-fashioned (Norfolk) Southern steam excursion could be. There were lot's of railfans chasing us with much better (or at least much smaller better) camera equipment than what we had in 1994. We created lot's of traffic jams as many motorists tried to pace the locomotive. The stunned looks of local citizens in who had no idea a steam locomotive was coming as we whistled through their backyards or past their church parking lots...... it was all too much fun.

David

Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:06 PM
Subject: [Tweetsie] 630 spotted

Sunday noon

I just got a call from a good friend from his farm near NC 220 just south of the NC - Va line. 630 just highballed north toward Roanoke.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kevin Gilliam

-----Original Message-----
From: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Pressley
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 7:16 AM
To: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Tweetsie] 630 spotted

There are other intangibles - in the last 18 years I had gradually forgotten just how much fun a good, ole-fashioned (Norfolk) Southern steam excursion could be. There were lot's of railfans chasing us with much better (or at least much smaller better) camera equipment than what we had in 1994. We created lot's of traffic jams as many motorists tried to pace the locomotive. The stunned looks of local citizens in who had no idea a steam locomotive was coming as we whistled through their backyards or past their church parking lots...... it was all too much fun.

David

David,
I found that out last fall when they were running in Tennessee. Been a long time since riding on a steam excursion, and it was a lot of fun. Mom, Dad, kids, grandparents, and a bunch of railfans just going out and seeing the countryside for the day.

As far as traffic was concerned, I'd conservatively estimate the chase pack between 50-70 cars going north out of Winston up 311. I'd been wondering the past few weekends where all the railfans were. They showed up yesterday. I missed it by running ahead, but apparently the entire town of Basset, VA turned out to see the steam train. They were on both sides of the tracks in lawn chairs. From a friend, it looked like the county fair. A similar scene happened also in Boones Mill, VA where it appeared the whole turn turned up at the depot to see the 630 come by.

If nothing else, Norfolk Southern is getting a tremendous amount of positive PR out of this whole thing.
Kevin

RICHARD BENTON

It sure is good to hear that a steam locomotive still gets people's
attention in 2012.
Richard Benton
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Kevin Gilliam <k_gilliam@bellsouth.net>wrote:

From: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of David Pressley

There are other intangibles - in the last 18 years I had gradually
forgotten just how much fun a good, ole-fashioned (Norfolk) Southern steam
excursion could be. There were lot's of railfans chasing us with much
better (or at least much smaller better) camera equipment than what we had
in 1994. We created lot's of traffic jams as many motorists tried to pace
the locomotive. The stunned looks of local citizens in who had no idea a
steam locomotive was coming as we whistled through their backyards or past
their church parking lots...... it was all too much fun.

David

David,
I found that out last fall when they were running in Tennessee. Been a
long time since riding on a steam excursion, and it was a lot of fun. Mom,
Dad, kids, grandparents, and a bunch of railfans just going out and seeing
the countryside for the day.

As far as traffic was concerned, I'd conservatively estimate the chase
pack between 50-70 cars going north out of Winston up 311. I'd been
wondering the past few weekends where all the railfans were. They showed up
yesterday. I missed it by running ahead, but apparently the entire town of
Basset, VA turned out to see the steam train. They were on both sides of
the tracks in lawn chairs. From a friend, it looked like the county fair. A
similar scene happened also in Boones Mill, VA where it appeared the whole
turn turned up at the depot to see the 630 come by.

If nothing else, Norfolk Southern is getting a tremendous amount of
positive PR out of this whole thing.
Kevin

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Lee Bishop

I really can't see that being a danger of not happening with any American generation currently alive. When I was riding two trips behind 4449 at the NRHS convention last year, I saw plenty slack-jawed looks and people walking into stationary objects while looking at the train go past, and I am NOT talking about the train fans. Most people are surprised to see a steam locomotive go past.
And as much as 'preservationist' types decry Thomas the Tank engine, it's done more than any railroad buff group ever could to get future generations on board (so to speak).

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD BENTON <rbenton@...> wrote:

attention in 2012.
Richard Benton
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Kevin Gilliam <k_gilliam@...>wrote:

labee55

Hi Folks,

I think this may be the 2nd time I've posted .. I was on board the 630 trip Sunday also and it was really great seeing all the people chasing along with the tons of people who lined the tracks town after town after town. I don't think I saw that many people trackside when the 611 went up Saluda. It was awesome. Hat's off to NS. Great job.
Lindsay Abee

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Bishop" <p51@...> wrote:

I really can't see that being a danger of not happening with any American generation currently alive. When I was riding two trips behind 4449 at the NRHS convention last year, I saw plenty slack-jawed looks and people walking into stationary objects while looking at the train go past, and I am NOT talking about the train fans. Most people are surprised to see a steam locomotive go past.
And as much as 'preservationist' types decry Thomas the Tank engine, it's done more than any railroad buff group ever could to get future generations on board (so to speak).

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD BENTON <rbenton@> wrote:

attention in 2012.
Richard Benton
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Kevin Gilliam <k_gilliam@>wrote:

David Pressley

The crowds trackside were unreal and only increased the nearer we got to Roanoke which remains proud of their steam locomotive heritage. I would imagine that the reaction is catching the attention of the higher-ups at Norfolk Southern!

Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 2:14 PM
Subject: RE: [Tweetsie] 630 spotted

From: mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Pressley
To: mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com

There are other intangibles - in the last 18 years I had gradually forgotten just how much fun a good, ole-fashioned (Norfolk) Southern steam excursion could be. There were lot's of railfans chasing us with much better (or at least much smaller better) camera equipment than what we had in 1994. We created lot's of traffic jams as many motorists tried to pace the locomotive. The stunned looks of local citizens in who had no idea a steam locomotive was coming as we whistled through their backyards or past their church parking lots...... it was all too much fun.

David

David,
I found that out last fall when they were running in Tennessee. Been a long time since riding on a steam excursion, and it was a lot of fun. Mom, Dad, kids, grandparents, and a bunch of railfans just going out and seeing the countryside for the day.

As far as traffic was concerned, I'd conservatively estimate the chase pack between 50-70 cars going north out of Winston up 311. I'd been wondering the past few weekends where all the railfans were. They showed up yesterday. I missed it by running ahead, but apparently the entire town of Basset, VA turned out to see the steam train. They were on both sides of the tracks in lawn chairs. From a friend, it looked like the county fair. A similar scene happened also in Boones Mill, VA where it appeared the whole turn turned up at the depot to see the 630 come by.

If nothing else, Norfolk Southern is getting a tremendous amount of positive PR out of this whole thing.
Kevin

Kevin Gilliam

From: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Pressley
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:24 PM

The crowds trackside were unreal and only increased the nearer we got to Roanoke which remains proud of their steam locomotive heritage. I would imagine that the reaction is catching the attention of the higher-ups at Norfolk Southern!

David,
Judging by the crowds in Bassett and Boones Mill, it appears that there was some level of local advertising notifying people about the steam excursion. Up to this point, the crowds had been fairly light. There weren't even that many railfans chasing the NC trips. Once it left W-S and headed north, the railfans turned out in full force. Once it got to VA, you added the locals to the mix. They obviously heard about it from somewhere. For the program to survive, NS needs the publicity from the locals, not the railfans. If it continues, it's the best PR that money can buy-and buying good PR in the railroad industry is difficult at best. If the crowds continue like they were on Sunday, it will catch attention.
Kevin