From: potter1954 <potter1954@yahoo.com>
To: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:06 AM
Subject: [Tweetsie] The end.

I imagine this will generate thousands of high paying jobs for local residents, much like the ones we have up here in the "High Country".
Sorry, that's just the way I feel about it...

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=97309

Regards,
Mike
Linville, NC

Will Vanderburg <Army30th@...>

See what gets me, even mentioning the possibility of future rail service. If the county even suspected that there "might" be an increased demand in the future, why even bother tearing it up?

William Vanderburg

To: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com
From: notelvis2@yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:34:32 -0800
Subject: Re: [Tweetsie] The end.

Agreed. This will pretty much do it.

Once the rails are lifted, they aren't coming back.

________________________________
I imagine this will generate thousands of high paying jobs for local residents, much like the ones we have up here in the "High Country".
Sorry, that's just the way I feel about it...
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=97309
Regards,
Mike
Linville, NC

Mike Jackson <ki4ojo1@...>

If the picture I have attached can be opened (I'm not good at sending
pictures so I don't know if it can be opened) you will see what the line
looked like in December 2011 before Christmas. This photo was taken on
State Line Road near the track used by Blossman Gas, which I believe to
have been the last customer in Elizabethton. I apologize if the picture
can't be opened.

Mike Jackson
Church Hill, TN

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Will Vanderburg <Army30th@hotmail.com>wrote:

See what gets me, even mentioning the possibility of future rail service.
If the county even suspected that there "might" be an increased demand in
the future, why even bother tearing it up?

William Vanderburg

Robert Cope

For G&W it is real simple....do the math. My guess is that the rail is somewhere about 85# or higher rail. I don't know the number of miles being torn up, but lets start a one mile.

I just checked for personal reasons, steel is recycling at $0.10 pound, higher under specific conditions. 85# per yard times 2 divided by 3 equals 56.67 pounds per foot time 5280 feet per mile times $0.10 equals $29,920.00 per mile of rail removed.

I am hearing the same rumblings about a siding here in Bay County, FL on the Bay Line Railroad. Same reasons, the line has not been used for at least 10 years, with little or no prospect in the future. After looking at the recycle value of the rail, it make perfect business sense to do it.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, and I am a 'Tweetsie' fan, as well as all the remaining narrow gauge heritage. Too bad one of us couldn't win one of those huge Power Ball lotteries......

Then reality sets in....

Bob C.

To: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com
From: notelvis2@...
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:34:32 -0800

Agreed. This will pretty much do it.

Once the rails are lifted, they aren't coming back.

________________________________
I imagine this will generate thousands of high paying jobs for local residents, much like the ones we have up here in the "High Country".
Sorry, that's just the way I feel about it...
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=97309
Regards,
Mike
Linville, NC

Pete Thorn

For G&W at this stage, yes; however, there is absolutely no excuse for
city/county to allow this to happen. I've written the following to the
Star several times, of couse, it will never see the light of day:

As a conductor for a Class 1 (NS), we spot cars in much worse looking
facilities than Alcoa/Inland, etc.. in much worse cities than Elizabethton
TN; furthermore, NEW industries are springing up all the time as new
industries or moving in an existing facitlity for mainly plastics, lumber,
and bulk products. We regularly spot cars in unused sidings for bulk
unloading of covered hoppers and tanks of varying commodities. Shippers
can't find enough unused tracks to unload Ethanol tankers. I saw an
article recently in the Star about someone touting opening up bio-fuel
business in Elizabethton. GUESS WHAT YOUR GOING TO NEED FOR SHIPPING,
DAHHHHHHH!

**

To: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com
From: notelvis2@...
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:34:32 -0800

Agreed. This will pretty much do it.

Once the rails are lifted, they aren't coming back.

________________________________
I imagine this will generate thousands of high paying jobs for local
residents, much like the ones we have up here in the "High Country".

Sorry, that's just the way I feel about it...
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=97309
Regards,
Mike
Linville, NC

Bill Blomgren

I think I know who the bio fuel group is.. (they take in garbage in pellatized form) - and turn out diesel fuel.  And energy... and recycle bunches of other goodies out of the mix.

Create jobs, diesel, and so on...  but E's not interested...

From: notelvis2@...
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:34:32 -0800