Topics

#12's Whistle #12's

yq190fan <yq190fan@...>

My question concerns Number 12's whistle in the early 90's.
Listnenting to the sound on several videos I can tell a difference
between then and now. Was the old whistle tuned oddly or was another
whistle on the locomotive?

Thanks,
D.J.

Jason Cagle <jbcagle@...>

The guys in the train shop change the whistles on occasion, and sometimes run whistles they own or others from Tweetsie's collection. That could have been at a time when they were running another whistle from the collection. I'm sure Tim can expound more on this.

From: "yq190fan" <yq190fan@...>

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:40:45
To: <Tweetsie@...>
Subject: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle

My question concerns Number 12's whistle in the early 90's.
Listnenting to the sound on several videos I can tell a difference
between then and now. Was the old whistle tuned oddly or was another
whistle on the locomotive?

Thanks,
D.J.

Jason Cagle <jbcagle@...>

I forgot 12 doesn't have a valve so they can't change the whistle under steam. It could be the audio quality of the video.

From: "yq190fan" <yq190fan@...>

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:40:45
To: <Tweetsie@...>

My question concerns Number 12's whistle in the early 90's.
Listnenting to the sound on several videos I can tell a difference
between then and now. Was the old whistle tuned oddly or was another
whistle on the locomotive?

Thanks,
D.J.

Will Vanderburg <Army30th@...>

If I'm not mistaken, I think the whistle was hit at some point and this changed the pitch or "sound" of the whistle that you hear. William Vanderburg

To: Tweetsie@...: jbcagle@...: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:54:17 +0000Subject: Re: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle

I forgot 12 doesn't have a valve so they can't change the whistle under steam. It could be the audio quality of the video. Sent from my BlackBerryďż˝ smartphone with SprintSpeed -----Original Message----- From: "yq190fan" <yq190fan@...> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:40:45 To: <Tweetsie@...> Subject: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle My question concerns Number 12's whistle in the early 90's. Listnenting to the sound on several videos I can tell a difference between then and now. Was the old whistle tuned oddly or was another whistle on the locomotive? Thanks, D.J. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Ken Riddle

It got knocked off when she was being backed into the barn. It was out of whack for years, then the shop boys got it back pretty close to right.

_____

If I'm not mistaken, I think the whistle was hit at some point and this changed the pitch or "sound" of the whistle that you hear. William Vanderburg

To: Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.comFrom> s.comFrom: jbcagle@sprint. <mailto:jbcagle%40sprint.blackberry.netDate> blackberry.netDate: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:54:17 +0000Subject: Re: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle

I forgot 12 doesn't have a valve so they can't change the whistle under steam. It could be the audio quality of the video. Sent from my BlackBerryďż˝ smartphone with SprintSpeed -----Original Message----- From: "yq190fan" <yq190fan@yahoo. <mailto:yq190fan%40yahoo.com> com> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:40:45 To: <Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> s.com> Subject: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle My question concerns Number 12's whistle in the early 90's. Listnenting to the sound on several videos I can tell a difference between then and now. Was the old whistle tuned oddly or was another whistle on the locomotive? Thanks, D.J. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jason Cagle <jbcagle@...>

Imagine what Frank said when he found out that shed was too low!

From: "Ken Riddle" <keriddle@...>

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:16:59
To: <Tweetsie@...>

To: Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.comFrom> s.comFrom: jbcagle@sprint. <mailto:jbcagle%40sprint.blackberry.netDate> blackberry.netDate: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:54:17 +0000Subject: Re: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle

I forgot 12 doesn't have a valve so they can't change the whistle under steam. It could be the audio quality of the video. Sent from my BlackBerryďż˝ smartphone with SprintSpeed -----Original Message----- From: "yq190fan" <yq190fan@yahoo. <mailto:yq190fan%40yahoo.com> com> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:40:45 To: <Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> s.com> Subject: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle My question concerns Number 12's whistle in the early 90's. Listnenting to the sound on several videos I can tell a difference between then and now. Was the old whistle tuned oddly or was another whistle on the locomotive? Thanks, D.J. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Get thousands of games on your PC, your mobile phone, and the web with Windows®.
http://clk.atdmt. <http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588800/direct/01/> com/MRT/go/108588800/direct/01/

Ken Riddle

If I remember it right, he was not only there but the one who continued to sign them back into the shed. I imagine he lit up pretty good.

One of the locomotives was getting new tires in 1977 or 78 when I was working there. It was not going good at all getting the old tires off with the hot ring and, when it finally did come off, it hit Frank on the leg of his pants, which were polyester golfing pants and not cotton, which you should always wear when working with hot stuff. The hot tire melted the polyester and burnt him pretty good. Man he was using words I have never heard before or since. We all just tried to stay in the clear and let him rant and rave and such cussing has seldom ever been heard.

Our boss Spencer Robbins was in the shop when it happened, and had a guy with him we didn’t know. After Frank cussed and carried on for a while after he got burnt, he noticed Spencer and went over to see him. Spencer said to him, “Frank, I want you to meet my friend, the Reverend Thomas Brown.”

Frank was stunned that the guy was a minister and he had heard the entire episode, and sputtered around for a few seconds and then shook his hand and said to him—“well, sorry preacher but goddam, you come at a bad time!”

We couldn’t laugh but as soon as we got in the clear we all had a hoot about that.

Frank Coffey and Cecil Bowden worked in profanity the way Rembrandt worked in oil paint.

Ken

_____

Imagine what Frank said when he found out that shed was too low!

From: "Ken Riddle" <keriddle@yatesind. <mailto:keriddle%40yatesind.com> com>

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:16:59
To: <Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> s.com>

To: Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.comFrom> s.comFrom: jbcagle@sprint. <mailto:jbcagle%40sprint.blackberry.netDate> blackberry.netDate: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:54:17 +0000Subject: Re: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle

I forgot 12 doesn't have a valve so they can't change the whistle under steam. It could be the audio quality of the video. Sent from my BlackBerryďż˝ smartphone with SprintSpeed -----Original Message----- From: "yq190fan" <yq190fan@yahoo. <mailto:yq190fan%40yahoo.com> com> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:40:45 To: <Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> s.com> Subject: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle My question concerns Number 12's whistle in the early 90's. Listnenting to the sound on several videos I can tell a difference between then and now. Was the old whistle tuned oddly or was another whistle on the locomotive? Thanks, D.J. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jason Cagle <jbcagle@...>

Johnny could do a whole series on the stories of Frank Coffee. The station wagon trip to Dollywood and the many fire department stories among many others would be great reading.

From: "Ken Riddle" <keriddle@yatesind. <mailto:keriddle%40yatesind.com> com>

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:16:59
To: <Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> s.com>

To: Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.comFrom> s.comFrom: jbcagle@sprint. <mailto:jbcagle%40sprint.blackberry.netDate> blackberry.netDate: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:54:17 +0000Subject: Re: [Tweetsie] #12's Whistle