Topics

#12s Window #12s

Dusten <Iron_Horse@...>

Why is the #12s 1st cab window welded shut? I am trying to model her
in On30 and would like to know the reason and origin.
Thanks
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoot

M. Loven <holtsky@...>

I'm not sure of the reason, but I believe Frank Coffey made this
modification when the engine went through a major overhaul during
1978/79.

I thought removing the first window made the cab look more modern, kind
of like #190's.

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Dusten" <Iron_Horse@...> wrote:

Why is the #12s 1st cab window welded shut? I am trying to model her
in On30 and would like to know the reason and origin.
Thanks
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoot

Tim Smith <tweetsieengineer@...>

The first window of #12's cab was taken out during the 1979 overhaul.
The main reason it was removed was the windows in the front of the cab
were always getting broken and having to be replaced.

Tim

--
Timothy Smith
Vice President, ET&WNC RR HS

David Pressley

Did that have anything to do with the heat coming off the boiler there or just random 'stuff'?

David

Tim Smith <tweetsieengineer@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

---------------------------------

Tim Smith <tweetsieengineer@...>

Im not sure about that. Most of guys that were there when they did
that are dead now, and the ones that were just remember it being
changed. The windows in the engines are just plain glass any of you
know how easy plain glass breaks. I broke the front door glass out of
12 one day by just laying the broom handle against it.

Tim

--

Philip Snyder <psnyder01@...>

I broke the front door glass out of
12 one day by just laying the broom handle against it.
Tim

And there went your Christmas bonus! ;)

Philip

David Pressley

I think a broom handle counts as random 'stuff'!

Tim Smith <tweetsieengineer@gmail.com> wrote: Im not sure about that. Most of guys that were there when they did
[...]

I think i did that in 2003, all i remember it was the Sunday of
opening weekend when it happened. Good thing Lowes is open on
Sunday!
Come to think of it that was probably the last time we opened with #12
also, ever since then its been #190.

Tim

--

Timothy Smith
Vice President, ET&WNC RR HS
Head Engineer Railfan Weekend Coordinator,
Tweetsie Railroad, Inc

---------------------------------

Timothy Smith
Vice President, ET&WNC RR HS
Head Engineer Railfan Weekend Coordinator,
Tweetsie Railroad, Inc

Philip Snyder <psnyder01@...>

See? The repercussions of a seemingly simple accident have ended up changing the entire course of history! Be glad they didn't switch to diesels because of it!

Philip

#11 for next year's railfan day. It hit me when Tim was holding the
11's number plate up at the convention.

You think railfans would come to see the 11 under steam? In black,
especially, but that might be overdoing it too.

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Dusten" <Iron_Horse@...> wrote:

I agree! I would also like to see a replica of the original tender put
on her, but that might be over doing it.
Rock On & Live Strong

Dusten

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Snyder" <psnyder01@> wrote:

ONE DAY MAYBE THEY WILL PUT IT BACK WHERE IT BELONGS AND TAKE THE
VISOR
OFF!

Ken

HERE HERE!!!!! That thing serves absolutely no purpose that it
can't in its
original form! DON'T CROSS KEN! ;)

Philip

BTW....get rid of those marker lamps while you're at it! ;)

Cale K4CDN Nelson

get's my vote!

Cale Nelson
Music Director-WHRZ
cale@thez.com
250 East Main St
Spartanburg SC 29306
tel: (864) 699-1787
AIM: revcale

Always have my latest info
Want a signature like this?

You know what I'd like to see? I like to see her converted into the
#11 for next year's railfan day. It hit me when Tim was holding the
11's number plate up at the convention.

You think railfans would come to see the 11 under steam? In black,
especially, but that might be overdoing it too.

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Dusten" <Iron_Horse@...> wrote:

> I agree! I would also like to see a replica of the original tender put
> on her, but that might be over doing it.
> Rock On & Live Strong
>
> Dusten
>

> --- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Snyder" <psnyder01@> wrote:
> >
> > > ONE DAY MAYBE THEY WILL PUT IT BACK WHERE IT BELONGS AND TAKE THE
> VISOR
> > > OFF!
> > >
> > > Ken
> >

> > HERE HERE!!!!! That thing serves absolutely no purpose that it
> can't in its
> > original form! DON'T CROSS KEN! ;)
> >
> > Philip
> >
> > BTW....get rid of those marker lamps while you're at it! ;)

Ken Riddle

Lest we get to far from the railhead, we are sure lucky to have the great
hospitality of the guys at Tweetsie we get. They are great to us. I have
been thumping Chris, and Frank Aldridge, and Choo Choo about that headlight
for a long time. I shouldn't complain, because I remember the diamond
stack, birdhouse headlight, and the pile of ashes where car 11 was a few
hours before.

We are really lucky to have those Tweetsie folks be as good to us as they
are. I am betting that the next railfan day will be a sold-out day.

Thanks Chris and Choo Choo!

Ken

_____

You know what I'd like to see? I like to see her converted into the
#11 for next year's railfan day. It hit me when Tim was holding the

"Dusten" <Iron_Horse@...> wrote:

I agree! I would also like to see a replica of the original tender put
on her, but that might be over doing it.
Rock On & Live Strong

Dusten

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,
"Philip Snyder" <psnyder01@> wrote:

ONE DAY MAYBE THEY WILL PUT IT BACK WHERE IT BELONGS AND TAKE THE
VISOR
OFF!

Ken

HERE HERE!!!!! That thing serves absolutely no purpose that it
can't in its
original form! DON'T CROSS KEN! ;)

Philip

BTW....get rid of those marker lamps while you're at it! ;)

Tim Smith <tweetsieengineer@...>

I really appreciate the ideas and enthusiasm for the railfan weekend.
It kinda makes the event worth putting on when i hear people asking me
what im going to do next year at the event. If any of you have any
"reasonable" suggestions for what you would like to see in future
railfan events please dont hesitate to email me and let me know and i
will look into seeing what i can do. I think you all will like what i
have in store for 2008.

Tim

#11 for next year's railfan day. It hit me when Tim was holding the

"Dusten" <Iron_Horse@...> wrote:

> I agree! I would also like to see a replica of the original tender put
> on her, but that might be over doing it.
> Rock On & Live Strong
>
> Dusten
>

> --- In Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,

"Philip Snyder" <psnyder01@> wrote:

> > > ONE DAY MAYBE THEY WILL PUT IT BACK WHERE IT BELONGS AND TAKE THE
> VISOR
> > > OFF!
> > >
> > > Ken
> >

> > HERE HERE!!!!! That thing serves absolutely no purpose that it
> can't in its
> > original form! DON'T CROSS KEN! ;)
> >
> > Philip
> >
> > BTW....get rid of those marker lamps while you're at it! ;)

--
Timothy Smith
Vice President, ET&WNC RR HS
Head Engineer Railfan Weekend Coordinator,
Tweetsie Railroad, Inc

Dick <dbs_70@...>

I hear you are painting the bridge silver!

Dick

I really appreciate the ideas and enthusiasm for the railfan weekend.
It kinda makes the event worth putting on when i hear people asking me
what im going to do next year at the event. If any of you have any
"reasonable" suggestions for what you would like to see in future
railfan events please dont hesitate to email me and let me know and i
will look into seeing what i can do. I think you all will like what i
have in store for 2008.

Tim

On Dec 27, 2007 9:23 PM, Ken Riddle <keriddle@yatesind.com> wrote:

> Lest we get to far from the railhead, we are sure lucky to have the great
> hospitality of the guys at Tweetsie we get. They are great to us. I have
> been thumping Chris, and Frank Aldridge, and Choo Choo about that headlight
> for a long time. I shouldn't complain, because I remember the diamond
> stack, birdhouse headlight, and the pile of ashes where car 11 was a few
> hours before.
>
> We are really lucky to have those Tweetsie folks be as good to us as they
> are. I am betting that the next railfan day will be a sold-out day.
>
> Thanks Chris and Choo Choo!
>
> Ken
>
> _____

I would like to see the one of the original Hobbs scheme painted on.

On Dec 27, 2007 9:23 PM, Ken Riddle <keriddle@...> wrote:

> Lest we get to far from the railhead, we are sure lucky to
have the great
> hospitality of the guys at Tweetsie we get. They are great to
us. I have
> been thumping Chris, and Frank Aldridge, and Choo Choo about
that headlight
> for a long time. I shouldn't complain, because I remember the
diamond
> stack, birdhouse headlight, and the pile of ashes where car 11
was a few
> hours before.
>
> We are really lucky to have those Tweetsie folks be as good to
us as they
> are. I am betting that the next railfan day will be a sold-out
day.

> Thanks Chris and Choo Choo!
>
> Ken
>
> _____

Joe Bays

Well, my suggestion is out in the open, and it's serious, and it would
be a major photo op to catch 11 as if it had never been scrapped. You
just think about it.

#11 for next year's railfan day. It hit me when Tim was holding the

"Dusten" <Iron_Horse@> wrote:

> I agree! I would also like to see a replica of the original
tender put
> on her, but that might be over doing it.
> Rock On & Live Strong
>
> Dusten
>

> --- In Tweetsie@yahoogroup <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com>
s.com,

"Philip Snyder" <psnyder01@> wrote:

> > > ONE DAY MAYBE THEY WILL PUT IT BACK WHERE IT BELONGS AND
TAKE THE
> VISOR
> > > OFF!
> > >
> > > Ken
> >

> > HERE HERE!!!!! That thing serves absolutely no purpose that it
> can't in its
> > original form! DON'T CROSS KEN! ;)
> >
> > Philip
> >
> > BTW....get rid of those marker lamps while you're at it! ;)

--
Timothy Smith
Vice President, ET&WNC RR HS
Head Engineer Railfan Weekend Coordinator,
Tweetsie Railroad, Inc

Ken Riddle

I think it is a GREAT idea!

_____

Well, my suggestion is out in the open, and it's serious, and it would
be a major photo op to catch 11 as if it had never been scrapped. You
just think about it.

--- In HYPERLINK

#11 for next year's railfan day. It hit me when Tim was holding the

"Dusten" <Iron_Horse@-> wrote:

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1:34 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.