ET&WNC Employee list available

Ken Riddle

I borrowed the holy cigar box and made a spreadsheet showing all the
employees carried on the railroad books from 1936-1982. You can see it over
on the johnsonsdepot.com Crumley homepage.

I added some earlier people that I knew about.

You will notice a disproportianate number of clerks, transfer people,
porters(!), and so forth in the later years. This gives a little weight to
the story the old railroad men told about "Hobbs and Blackwell loading
everybody on the railroad payroll to make it look like it was losing money"
story.

Well, I am quite sure it was losing money anyway but this is a very
interesting spreadsheet.

It has the employee's name, job at the time the paperwork (Railroad
Retirement information) was filled out, job location, dated hired in
service, date of birth (couple of real old dudes there), place of birth, and
Mom and Dad's name.

Yall go hunt the kinfolks now! There is six hundred and some of them.
Can't believe we're down to Keith and Darrell!
Ken

----

Julia Williams Kodak <jkodak@...>

This is great! I notice there are no employees listed for the Shell Creek Depot. Is this due to the fact the people of Shell Creek built the depot themselves and thus had no paid employees by the ET & WNC? I know that Walter Church was there for a while and was also a telegraph operator and postmaster. Wonder who paid his salary?
Julia

Julia Williams Kodak
Researching Adams, Anderson, Baker, Bedsaul, Bonham, Brannock, Caudill, Caldwell, Creed, Dickens, Franklin, Golden, Golding, Goodson, Gollehon, Johnson, Musser, Moore, Norman, Rowland, Sturgill, Suit, Upchurch, Williams and Wymer in SW VA and NC and the people of Shell Creek, TN. "The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" Romans 6:23

---- Ken Riddle <keriddle@yatesind.com> wrote:

=============
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Ken Riddle

I think that the agency at Shell Creek was gone by 1936. At the risk of sounding like der Fuhrer uva da nar' gage, check out Johnny's depot book.

Jack Perkins, the Carter County road supervisor, was born and raised in the Shell Creek depot after it had been moved.

Did I hear Wayne had sold the sawmill up there??
Ken

[...]

I realized the employee list was for later about the time I hit "send." And I do have a copy of Johnny's book and I love it. (The writing, too Johnny...not just the pictures.)

Someone was telling me the other day the Perkins house that was made from the materials from the Shell Creek depot had been torn down. I've been meaning to call Jack Perkins and talk to him about it. I'd give him a quarter for just a two inch piece of it.

Yes, Wayne sold the sawmill. It's now Roan Mountain Sawmill. Willie was realling hoping he'd settle down but he's building houses up in Sugar Hollow among all his other little projects.

Thanks again,
[...]

Mike West

In 1931 the Shell Creek Station was used as a warehouse until sold in 1936,
so there was probably no agent there beginning in 1931 even though Shell
Creek was listed as a flagstop until the flood of 1940.mw

[...]

Service.

----

tennessee nissan
Model railroad train East tennessee state university Train railway

Service.

gledford55

--- In Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Riddle" <keriddle@...> wrote:

I borrowed the holy cigar box and made a spreadsheet showing all the
employees carried on the railroad books from 1936-1982.
I noticed there is no info about F P Ledford on the employee list. I
could have told you that. Us Ledfords are mean ornery and mysterious!
Wonder what FP stands for? Felton Peterson? Franklin Persimmon?

Jerry Ledford, Etowah NC

Dick Sossomon <dbs_70@...>

Foot Print ? Federal Property? Field Peas ? I better stop before it gets too bad.

Dick

> I borrowed the holy cigar box and made a spreadsheet showing all the
> employees carried on the railroad books from 1936-1982.

I noticed there is no info about F P Ledford on the employee list. I
could have told you that. Us Ledfords are mean ornery and mysterious!
Wonder what FP stands for? Felton Peterson? Franklin Persimmon?

Jerry Ledford, Etowah NC

Model railroad train East tennessee state university Train railway

gledford55 <gledford55@yahoo.com> wrote: Wonder what FP stands for? Felton Peterson? Franklin Persimmon?

Jerry Ledford, Etowah NC

Felony Perpertrator?
Hey Jerry!

East tennessee real estate Western north carolina East tennessee nissan Model railroad train East tennessee state university Train railway

Yahoo! Mail