From: baskette@... <baskette@...>
To: tweetsie@... <tweetsie@...>
Date: Monday, December 28, 1998 4:06 PM
Subject: [Tweetsie] New List Member

From: baskette@...

List Members,

Hello, my name is MIchael Baskette. I'm a model railroader in Lexington, KY
and
a former a native of Johnson City Tennessee. I saw you had created this
list on
the Slim Rails Web site, and figured I'd join in. I am primarily a
Clinchfield
modeler, but am currently planning a large switching layout of Johnson City
set
in the mid to late 1960's. Included will be the E.T. & W.N.C. from J.C.
Elizabethton. I figure this location and era gives my a unique opportunity
run second generation EMD power on the CRR and Southern portions and steam
on
the E.T.& W.N.C. up to 1968 and Alco's after that. Anyway, as you can
gather,
my primary interests in the Tweetsie are it's standard gauge years. Hope
that's
not taboo. So far I have aquired photos of all the standard guage locos
operated in the 1960's steam and diesel, and USGS topo maps of JC and Eliz.
figured this group might have insight into other questions. Recently
aquired
and possibly of interst to some of you is a large number of CRR waybills
for
freight traffic originating or terminating in Johnson City. Many are for
cars
delivered to or loaded in Elizabethton and interchanged to/from the ET&WNC.
They
list the industries who either loaded or recieved the cars. Again these
are for
the 1960's so may be of limited appeal. Anyway, hope to get to know you
soon.

Mike Baskette

C Ford <cfordart@...>

Yeah, we did have a very interesting encounter. If you would like to see
a few photos of the RS3s (and the interesting story aforementioned) check
my web page in the 1989 and 1990 photos at

http://www.mindspring.com/~cfordart/etwnc/home.html

And welcome to the group.
Chris

-----------------------
Chris Ford
cfordart@...

http://www.mindspring.com/~cfordart/etwnc/home.html

Charles Brumbelow <cbrumbelow@...>

Welcome! I don't think 1960's standard gauge is taboo . . . Rumor has
it that one reunion group had a most interesting encounter with a couple
while photographing the ET&WNC RS3(?)! I grew up in Bristol (TN) and my
Dad had accounting clients in Elizabethton -- after the NG was gone.
Charles

baskette@... wrote:

. . . am currently planning a large switching layout of Johnson City set
in the mid to late 1960's. Included will be the E.T. & W.N.C. from J.C. to
Elizabethton. I figure this location and era gives my a unique opportunity to
run second generation EMD power on the CRR and Southern portions and steam on
the E.T.& W.N.C. up to 1968 and Alco's after that. Anyway, as you can gather,
my primary interests in the Tweetsie are it's standard gauge years. Hope that's
not taboo.

Karl & Edwina Kleeman <kleenc@...>

Hey, the standard gage days of the ET&WNC are very interesting. I am
modeling the Alco RS3 diesel in largescale. Have been trying to get
pictures. Have some after the engines were out of service but would love
to get a couple when they were still in service. Can be sent to Karl
Kleeman, 619 Yarmouth Rd., Raleigh, NC 27607. I will pay all expenses.
Karl Kleeman

I am also interested in what types of cars the RS3s pulled. Would like to
be historically accurate if possible.

kleenc@...