Re: Genuine Magnetite Iron Ore in ON30 from Dr Tom.

William Uffelman

In a word Dr Tom - Excellent!

Bill Uffelman

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 4:44 PM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
Hello y’all,

I hope you are enjoying these hot summer days.

Several months ago Mr. Chris Ford was nice enough to send me pictures of the magnetite iron ore mined at Cranberry NC and hauled on our favorite railroad.
So I began a long winded search to find something that could represent the pictures to model a load in my completed ET&WNC hopper cars.

I recently stumbled on the real thing, magnetite iron ore on eBay. I was excited and bought several little baggies of the real deal.

With a styrene and sculptamold base I was able to make a removable load for the hopper cars.

I used the incredibly strong 3M spray adhesive to secure the ore to the loads. I did this to keep this real iron product from scattering about the layout and fouling model locomotive electric motors.

Since it is real iron I made a magic wand with a super magnet to make the loads easy to remove.

Quite thrilling to see the first load of real magnetite iron ore making its way to the blast furnace in Johnson City.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom