Re: Jimmy Hobbs plays marbles

Michael Hardin

I thought y’all might like seeing my collection of ET&WNC locks and keys. The banjo locks are the newest type they used. The hole for the keys for this type was a backwards number nine.

The oldest one I have is in the bottom right of the picture and I bought it from John Waite who wasn’t sure if it was real or not. I found the worn key above it that fit his lock which confirmed its authenticity. 

The top right key is from the ET railway. Which is also a backwards nine. Keith Holley gave me that one years ago. 

Let me know if anyone is interested in seeing more of my collection. 

On Aug 26, 2020, at 11:57 AM, Al Spainhour <al@...> wrote:

Mike,

This is a treasure and I am so glad that so many pieces of ET history are in your  good hands.

I see the the tickets to Pardee Point…..and I have seen fares posted to Pardee Point as well …..

Do you know if passengers actually embarked/disembarked there?   It’s a bit of a hike in either direction

Regards,

Al Spainhour

From: ETWNC@groups.io [mailto:ETWNC@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Hardin
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 7:25 PM
To: ETWNC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Jimmy Hobbs plays marbles

<image001.jpg>
<image002.jpg>
<image003.jpg>
<image004.jpg>

Here is the ticket cabinet that came from the Elizabethton depot. It is a roll top locking cabinet with tickets from Elizabethton to other stops on the line. It is sitting on the table from the same depot with the cash/coin drawer. I have included a photo of a ticket with the clay marble. The marble is about 1” in diameter. They are all colored differently. The marble was placed behind the tickets to keep them in place. 

Also notice the ticket cutter. The larger tickets were placed in the cutter and the pointer was moved to the destination station and then ripped. Leaving only a piece for the customer showing the station he had paid to be dropped off at. 

Mike

On Aug 24, 2020, at 7:33 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

Mike,

Thanks for the information. I don’t suppose you could post a photo of the ticket cabinet. I’d love to see it. Thanks!

Dean

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 4:38 PM

Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Jimmy Hobbs plays marbles

Dean,

I own the ticket cabinet from the ET&WNC depot in Elizabethton with the tickets to each point on the line. Each row of tickets has a large clay marble that holds them down, not a ball bearing. I have a Clinchfield ticket cabinet too and it has the clay marbles. So your scene (which is very cool) is probably accurate without steel ball bearings.

Mike

On Aug 24, 2020, at 4:25 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

Outside the Hampton Depot, Jimmy Hobbs and his buddies risk getting in trouble for playing marbles with the ball bearings the railroad uses to weigh down the tickets in the ticket cabinet, as per a story Jim told at an ET&WNC Historical Society convention many years ago. If his dad, Clarence Hobbs, the railroad's superintendent, catches them, there will be H-E-Double Hockey Sticks to pay.

<Jimmy Hobbs playing marbles.jpg>

Join ETWNC@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.