Re: Jimmy Hobbs plays marbles

Michael Hardin

That is a great point. I can’t imagine anyone buying a ticket to end up there. I know the excursion trains stoped there for everyone to take in the views but there is no where to go from there unless you waited for a return trip.

On Aug 26, 2020, at 11:57 AM, Al Spainhour <al@...> wrote:

Mike,

This is a treasure and I am so glad that so many pieces of ET history are in your  good hands.

I see the the tickets to Pardee Point…..and I have seen fares posted to Pardee Point as well …..

Do you know if passengers actually embarked/disembarked there?   It’s a bit of a hike in either direction

Regards,

Al Spainhour

From: ETWNC@groups.io [mailto:ETWNC@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Hardin
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 7:25 PM
To: ETWNC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Jimmy Hobbs plays marbles

<image001.jpg>
<image002.jpg>
<image003.jpg>
<image004.jpg>

Here is the ticket cabinet that came from the Elizabethton depot. It is a roll top locking cabinet with tickets from Elizabethton to other stops on the line. It is sitting on the table from the same depot with the cash/coin drawer. I have included a photo of a ticket with the clay marble. The marble is about 1” in diameter. They are all colored differently. The marble was placed behind the tickets to keep them in place.

Also notice the ticket cutter. The larger tickets were placed in the cutter and the pointer was moved to the destination station and then ripped. Leaving only a piece for the customer showing the station he had paid to be dropped off at.

Mike

On Aug 24, 2020, at 7:33 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

Mike,

    Thanks for the information. I don’t suppose you could post a photo of the ticket cabinet. I’d love to see it. Thanks!

Dean

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 4:38 PM

Dean,

I own the ticket cabinet from the ET&WNC depot in Elizabethton with the tickets to each point on the line. Each row of tickets has a large clay marble that holds them down, not a ball bearing. I have a Clinchfield ticket cabinet too and it has the clay marbles. So your scene (which is very cool) is probably accurate without steel ball bearings.

Mike

On Aug 24, 2020, at 4:25 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

Outside the Hampton Depot, Jimmy Hobbs and his buddies risk getting in trouble for playing marbles with the ball bearings the railroad uses to weigh down the tickets in the ticket cabinet, as per a story Jim told at an ET&WNC Historical Society convention many years ago. If his dad, Clarence Hobbs, the railroad's superintendent, catches them, there will be H-E-Double Hockey Sticks to pay.

<Jimmy Hobbs playing marbles.jpg>