Re: Jimmy Hobbs plays marbles

Tom Grabenstein

Very cool and creative modeling. And no you have not lost your marbles in working in a small scale with older eyes. Doc Tom

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 8:07 PM Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:
I first tried to use HO scale apples painted gray.  They ended up looking like, well, gray apples and were way too big. I then tried using Woodland Scenics white flower material. After scratching out the marble circle, I wetted the area with scenic cement and sprinkled on individual flakes of flowers.  I shaped them to be as round as possible.  When everything dried, I scrubbed the area around the marbles with a bit of fine dirt so it matched the rest of the ground.  To highlight the area, I made that area of the parking area a shade lighter than the rest of it. The marbles are not perfect, but I think they look pretty good, especially in person. There are some advantages to aging eyes. At the same convention that Jim Hobbs told me about playing marbles, he also recommended switching from HO scale to G scale.  He told me that by the time I was his age at the time, I wouldn’t be able to see the HO models anyway.  A true gentleman!

Dean

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 7:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ETWNC] Jimmy Hobbs plays marbles

Great scene with HO marbles (Ball Bearings???) at that!!! I have no idea how you made those little things.  Doc Tom

On Aug 24, 2020, at 4:16 PM, Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:

Dean,

Great scene....well done!!
(BTW...I really enjoyed your clinic on your outstanding ET&WNC layout, during the 40th NNGC ZOOM meeting last Saturday.)

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.