Re: Jimmy Hobbs plays marbles

Michael Hardin

Dean,
I own the ticket cabinet from the ET&WNC depot in Elizabethton with the tickets to each point on the line. Each row of tickets has a large clay marble that holds them down, not a ball bearing. I have a Clinchfield ticket cabinet too and it has the clay marbles. So your scene (which is very cool) is probably accurate without steel ball bearings.
Mike

On Aug 24, 2020, at 4:25 PM, Dean Smith <smithfive@...> wrote:

´╗┐Outside the Hampton Depot, Jimmy Hobbs and his buddies risk getting in trouble for playing marbles with the ball bearings the railroad uses to weigh down the tickets in the ticket cabinet, as per a story Jim told at an ET&WNC Historical Society convention many years ago. If his dad, Clarence Hobbs, the railroad's superintendent, catches them, there will be H-E-Double Hockey Sticks to pay.
<Jimmy Hobbs playing marbles.jpg>