Re: Switch Stands and Ballast color

Chris Ford

Here's a shot of a piece of coal and a piece of good magnetite that I found in Cranberry at the site of the old enginehouse. The magnetite has a magnet stuck to it. I don't think it is indicative of the size of what would have been used for ballast...ballast I've seen on the ROW is usually much smaller, maybe in the 1"-2" range...

http://cfordart.com/stuff/magnetite.jpg

And links to some shots from back in the day...

Ignore the critter, but even though the rocks are small in this photo, I think they're indicative of the ballast colors:

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/1989junefullsize/36fullsize.html

Here's a shot from the Gorge back before the washed out fill at the large retaining wall was repaired. It shows new (new from Hillbilly World) ballast on top of darker original stuff underneath.

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/1989junefullsize/27fullsize.html

Here's some shots from the mine showing the color of surrounding rock...

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/1990junefullsize/29fullsize.html

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/1990junefullsize/30fullsize.html

Here's one of a cattle guard on State Line Hill where the ballast would have been original...

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/2002junefullsize/32fullsize.html

Here's a couple of shots of some original tailings on the abutment at the covered bridge over the Little Doe...

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/2002junefullsize/5fullsize.html

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/2002junefullsize/6fullsize.html

And at long last here's what the track looked like in more modern times around a coal loading site in Elizabethton. Probably looked similar back in the day though...

http://www.cfordart.com/photoalbum/photopages/fullsizepages/2002junefullsize/19fullsize.html

Hope this helps a bit!

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 06:43:47 -0700, "Chris Jessee via groups.io" <cj8n@...> wrote:

Can anyone share a close up photo of ET ballast or tailings you've picked up along the ROW?

Thanks,

Chris Jessee