Re: Switch Stands and Ballast color

Brian Kopp

One trick to get ballast (gravel, talus, etc.) color just right is to steal your kids or grandkids sidewalk chalk collection and shave some chalk dust into the Woodland Scenics or JTT ballast with a sharp knife. You can also buy the chalk at Staples in the children's school supplies section. To mute the ballast color use white chalk.  A squeeze bottle of white carpenters chalk powder also works and saves time since the shaving is already done.

Here is a color match I did for some desert dirt ground cover I was about to put down on my HOn3 layout. I started with buff fine ballast and added red and white chalk shavings until I was happy.

Not ETWNC colors but you get the idea.....
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, Florida