More progress on the On30 Homage to the ET& WNC RR from Doc Tom

Tom Grabenstein

I am going to be traveling for the next couple of weeks on a late summer vacation, so I thought I better wrap up the construction of the base of the shelf layout for the Blue Ridge Stemwinder. Time also to give you guys a break for a while from studying Blue Styrofoam.

When I was an HO modeler I learned the joys of L girder construction in making a strong support for my model RR empire. I found in my experimentation on the On30 mini layouts that the L girder construction using aluminum L girders could give the foam boards tremendous strength also.

What I do is attach them along the edges of the blue foam board using Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive for Projects. This is a strong adhesive that is compatible with Styrofoam. I temporarily screw the channels in place but have found that once the glue dries the screws can be removed and a strong bond has been achieved.

This layout design element ( LDE) that I am calling Linville Depot is 11 feet and a half inch long. Once all the channel is in place the entire LDE can be picked up and turned up on its side easily to allow access to the undersurface for wiring etc. It is then placed back on the wire shelving and snuggles right into place.

Now I have an expanse flat blue terrain to begin some modeling on.

One of the things I've always wanted to do was to blow up a neat track plan to full scale and use it to establish track lines and changes in topography. On this project I thought I would give a local printer the chance to blow up the Iain Rice’s track plan for the Linville LDE. The image is quite pixelated but I can readily see where the track lines are supposed to go. I also found that Iain’s track plan is 1 foot and a half inch shorter than the width of my Railroad room. You can see where I split the plan to allow for a longer mainline run.

So now the passenger cars have a place to show up at Linville Depot.

I'll be back at it in two or three weeks and hope to show some more progress.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom