Re: A question about road bed.

Mike West

Go to PETCO and look for black aquarium gravel. Mix it with gray and you'll get the right colour.w

On Sat, 3/30/19, William Uffelman via Groups.Io <ufffam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Subject: Re: [ETWNC] A question about road bed.
To: "ETWNC@groups.io" <ETWNC@groups.io>
Date: Saturday, March 30, 2019, 6:47 PM

So .030" to
.050" in O scale.Take some calipers along.
Bill
Uffelman

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 3:42 PM, Chris
Ford<chris@...> wrote:

Going
out on the old ET&WNC right-of-way now you'll find
almost all mine tailings...mostly black with some very dark
gray...about 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches in size.

Mine tailings were VERY plentiful...they even used the
spoils as the aggregate in their concrete abutments and
piers. Lots of aggregate with a little mortar....much of it
still there over a hundred years later.

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 22:04:05 +0000 (UTC),
"William Uffelman via Groups.Io" wrote:

Check Arizona Rock and Minerals they should have
a dark gray almost black color. As to size I used an HO
ballast to get a fine look of gravel on my old On3 line.
Used N scale black as a cinder ballast.

Bill
Uffelman

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM, Tom Grabenstein

<tomgmd@...> wrote:

Thank you Johnny for this very well thought out
contribution to this discussion about roadbed. Also a very
good explanation why the pictures we have show the “down
in the weeds look.”

The description of the ballast
used is also very helpful as I select ballast color.

I will proceed to elevate the
On30 track somewhat using Cork roadbed. I will also be
researching dark ballast colors to match the tailings from
the Cranberry mines.

Thank you to everyone who
responded to my request for help. It is greatly appreciated.
I will post pictures as this project moves along.

Doc Tom

My contribution to the
Clarksville Model Rail Road club.