Re: A question about road bed.

William Uffelman

So .030" to .050" in O scale.Take some calipers along.

Bill Uffelman

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 3:42 PM, Chris Ford
<chris@...> wrote:
Going out on the old ET&WNC right-of-way now you'll find almost all mine tailings...mostly black with some very dark gray...about 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches in size.

Mine tailings were VERY plentiful...they even used the spoils as the aggregate in their concrete abutments and piers. Lots of aggregate with a little mortar....much of it still there over a hundred years later.

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 22:04:05 +0000 (UTC), "William Uffelman via Groups.Io" wrote:

Check Arizona Rock and Minerals they should have a dark gray almost black color. As to size I used an HO ballast to get a fine look of gravel on my old On3 line. Used N scale black as a cinder ballast.

Bill Uffelman

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM, Tom Grabenstein
<tomgmd@...> wrote:
Thank you Johnny for this very well thought out contribution to this discussion about roadbed. Also a very good explanation why the pictures we have show the “down in the weeds look.”

The description of the ballast used is also very helpful as I select ballast color.

I will proceed to elevate the On30 track somewhat using Cork roadbed. I will also be researching dark ballast colors to match the tailings from the Cranberry mines.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for help. It is greatly appreciated. I will post pictures as this project moves along.

Doc Tom

My contribution to the Clarksville Model Rail Road club.