Re: A question about road bed.

John Braly

I have vivid memories as a child of 4 or 5  walking up the tracks in the Coal Chute in probably 1954.  The ties were very low in the fill and not much elevation.  My sand box was made from cross ties my father took across the road after the line was closed.

On Friday, March 29, 2019, 03:10:44 PM EDT, Steve Austin <sea110947@...> wrote:

Doc Tom, I'm not sure of the prototype ET's ballasting practices, but I prefer no raised roadbed. See photo.

Steve Austin
Elkhorn Iron and Timber Co

-------- Original message --------
From: Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...>
Date: 3/29/19 2:47 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: ETWNC@groups.io
Subject: [ETWNC] A question about road bed.

Hello,

I wanted to ask you all a somewhat technical question.

I am in the early stages of constructing a modest On30 layout of portions of the ET&WNC RR. It will be set in the early 1920s.

In looking at prototype pictures, I cannot tell if the railroad was placed on raised roadbed or not? In many of the pictures it appears that the track is laid in minimal to no roadbed. It appears that the trackwork is quite flat and overgrown with weeds and grasses.

What would be more appropriate, to lay the track directly to a flat surface or to elevate the track on cork roadbed about 1/4” ??

I really appreciate your thoughts on this and look forward to some learned information.