Re: A question about road bed.

William Uffelman

Elevate on HO cork or similar. That is only one scale foot so there is room for scenery next to the tie ends.

Bill Uffelman

On Friday, March 29, 2019, 11:47:25 AM PDT, Tom Grabenstein <tomgmd@...> wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to ask you all a somewhat technical question.

I am in the early stages of constructing a modest On30 layout of portions of the ET&WNC RR. It will be set in the early 1920s.

In looking at prototype pictures, I cannot tell if the railroad was placed on raised roadbed or not? In many of the pictures it appears that the track is laid in minimal to no roadbed. It appears that the trackwork is quite flat and overgrown with weeds and grasses.

What would be more appropriate, to lay the track directly to a flat surface or to elevate the track on cork roadbed about 1/4” ??

I really appreciate your thoughts on this and look forward to some learned information.