Re: Was combine # 15 a 'Jim Crow' car?

David Pressley

This is kind of an OCD linguisticss debate now -

I would  not consider a railroad car itself to be a 'Jim Crow' car unless there was a partition creating two separate (but equal) passenger seating areas within the same car. This was NOT the case with Tweetsie #15.

As Johnny suggests, the passenger section of #15 was perhaps used to seat black passengers along with an adjoining partitioned section in coach #16 on the pre-depression passenger trains. By the end of regular passenger train service (the war era trains notwithstanding), what white passengers there were rode in the passenger compartment of #15.

So...... I'd suggest that at various times #15 carried white passengers and at various times #15 carried black passengers. The car was intended to carry passengers in one passenger compartment, mail, and baggage. Trying to describe #15 primarily as a 'Jim Crow' is an example of revisionist history, quite possible by someone with some sort of slanted agenda.

David

Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:21 PM
Subject: [Tweetsie] Re: Was combine # 15 a 'Jim Crow' car?

The photos referred to in the posting refer to two different things. Combine 15 was in three parts, baggage, passenger and mail. There was not a partition in the 15 to divide the races. I cant reply to the posting, but while the 15 may have been used as a Jim Crow car, there was no division between them in the car itself.
Johnny
--- In mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com, "Lee Bishop" <p51@...> wrote:

I'd never even thought of it, but someone made some very logical suggestions to that point: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=195735#p195735
Opinions, anyone?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join ETWNC@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.