From: Ken Riddle <keriddle@yatesind.com>
To: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:32 PM
Subject: RE: [Tweetsie] Tweetsie in Myrtle Beach

Got no clue about the engine at the putt putt course. I have seen it-

There are some great movies of the Highlander Railroad in the Virgil Wacks collection at the Archives of Appalachia at ETSU, and even some of the Southern Appalachian Railroad at Micaville, NC that operated on the old Black Mountain Railroad for only ONE WEEKEND. Their locomotive was one of the BEDT 0-6-0 saddletankers. It is now the steam powered Thomas the tank engine at Strasburg.

Are you talking about Six Gun Territory in Ocala, Florida? They had at least one Crown 36” steam locomotive.

Ken

From: Ken Riddle <mailto:keriddle%40yatesind.com <mailto:keriddle%40yatesind.com> >
To: mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 1:33 PM

The other 0-4-0 that came to Tennessee with Mr. Walter’s engine was scrapped (!) by TVRM in the 1980’s. Ghost Town in Maggie Valley had one of the very early Chance gasoline-powered 4-2-4’s like the one at Steele Creek park in Bristol.

There were two other short time operations in Maggie Valley and Cherokee. The Highlander Railroad ran for a year with a couple of tiny standard gauge Heislers out of Maggie Valley. The Cherokee Wonderland Railroad operated “Albert”, a Davenport 2-6-0, and “Victoria Regina”, a Porter 0-4-0T converted to a 2-4-4 Forney for a year. Both these engines were narrow gauge and came from the Levert-St. John Plantation in Louisiana. They were redone by Arthur LaSalle, the same guy that fixed up Rachel for Opryland.

Long ago and far away!!

Ken

From: Rick Shaw <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com> <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com> >

Subject: [Tweetsie] Tweetsie in Myrtle Beach

To: mailto:tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com>

Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 8:40 AM

Group:

I worked at Pirate Land, which was a theme based amusement park, just below Myrtle Beach, SC during the summer of 1968. They had a steam locomotive that had several excursion cars attached and a mile or so of track that was used as one of the rides at the park. The train did a big circle and at some point a couple of pirates stopped and robbed the train. Don't laugh; pirates? trains?, I didn't get the connection either but it was fun and people enjoyed the train ride except for the soot from the coal fired locomotive.

I'm bringing this up, because, the park had a public address system that gave information about the daily scheduled events that was a recorded tape that ran over and over. After a couple of weeks working there, you had the announcements memorized after hearing them play eight hours a day. I remember that they referred to their locomotive as a 'sister locomotive to the Tweetsie Railroad' that was probably operating at Ghost City which was in western North Carolina at that time.

I am wondering if anyone in the group would have any idea if that locomotive was actually a ET&WNC locomotive. I have the usual ET&WNC books and have never seen any mention of one of the locomotives operating in Myrtle Beach. I went by the old park a few years back and could only find a few remains of the parking lot. The Pirate Land Campground, which was adjacent to the theme park in 1968 was still in operation and it looked like most of the park was now a privately owned camping area, complete with security guard.

If anyone has any information I would appreciate your imput.

On an unrelated note, I have a collection of ET&WNC hon3 locomotives, rolling stock kits, structure kits that I am looking to get rid of. More than likely I will try to sell it on eBay but, I would love to see that entire lot go to someone that was really interested in modeling the ET&WNC. My vision is not what it used to be and I have rediscovered O gauge, so, I am getting rid of my hon3 collection.

Thanks,

Rickie K. Thornton

Aiken, SC