Southern Appalachian Railroad

David Pressley

Ken,

What more can you tell me about the Southern Appalachian Railroad operation? I would be thrilled to find a photograph somewhere.

I grew up in Mars Hill and actually rode that train - sort of. My dad got wind of things and drove me over to ride one weekend. We drove over to Micaville, parked, bought tickets from a ticket booth for what was advertised as a round-trip to Kona, and waited. I cannot remember how old I was...... probably in the neighborhood of 8 give or take. (That would be around 1970.)

Eventually the tiny 0-6-0 chuffed in from Burnsville dragging a pair of ancient olive drab commuter coaches behind it. A man who appeared to be 'in charge' climbed down, looked at the meager assortment of riders assembled, and announced that not enough tickets had been sold to meet the expense of running the train out to Kona. Refunds were given for tickets sold BUT in what I thought was a nice consolation, those of us who had someone available to pick us up were allowed a free ride on the four miles back to the engine house in Burnsville. It was a glorious ride over an interesting piece of railroad long since abandoned...... and I did eventually have a chance to ride from Micaville on to Kona a few years later before the Yancey quit for good.

Thanks,
David Pressley

Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:32 PM
Subject: RE: [Tweetsie] Tweetsie in Myrtle Beach

Got no clue about the engine at the putt putt course. I have seen it-

There are some great movies of the Highlander Railroad in the Virgil Wacks collection at the Archives of Appalachia at ETSU, and even some of the Southern Appalachian Railroad at Micaville, NC that operated on the old Black Mountain Railroad for only ONE WEEKEND. Their locomotive was one of the BEDT 0-6-0 saddletankers. It is now the steam powered Thomas the tank engine at Strasburg.

Are you talking about Six Gun Territory in Ocala, Florida? They had at least one Crown 36” steam locomotive.

Ken

From: mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Whit Whitaker
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:23 PM
To: mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com

So what about the 0-4-0 in N Myrtle Beach? Ghostown had a sister park called Frontierlandin Fla, Ocala I think. It was a pretty early Disneyworld casualty and one of the engines ended up at a fire works stand on US 17 in Mt Pleasant SC. It was there in the mid 1980's I have pictures of it somewhere. The guy that owned was trying to sell it. I think it ended up in a estate action when he died. I never rode the Highland Railroad but when I was about 6-7 we stayed in some log cabins more or less across from Ghostown in Maggie Valley. One night after supper we went walking up a dirt road the ran alongside the creek and came into a clearing with what I now know to be an entire Highlander train, A couple of coaches and at least one engine. The had been sitting for some time based on the growth around them. They were truly awe inspiring, much more spectacular than the trip to Ghostown. That experience has led to a lifetime of following
abandoned railroad tracks to see what's at the end. While I never recaptured that feeling again to date, I have no plan to stop exploring.
The Highlander pics may be in a very older post in this group, because this subject has come up before.

--- On Wed, 6/27/12, Ken Riddle <mailto:keriddle%40yatesind.com <mailto:keriddle%40yatesind.com> > wrote:

From: Ken Riddle <mailto:keriddle%40yatesind.com <mailto:keriddle%40yatesind.com> >
To: mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 1:33 PM

The other 0-4-0 that came to Tennessee with Mr. Walter’s engine was scrapped (!) by TVRM in the 1980’s. Ghost Town in Maggie Valley had one of the very early Chance gasoline-powered 4-2-4’s like the one at Steele Creek park in Bristol.

There were two other short time operations in Maggie Valley and Cherokee. The Highlander Railroad ran for a year with a couple of tiny standard gauge Heislers out of Maggie Valley. The Cherokee Wonderland Railroad operated “Albert”, a Davenport 2-6-0, and “Victoria Regina”, a Porter 0-4-0T converted to a 2-4-4 Forney for a year. Both these engines were narrow gauge and came from the Levert-St. John Plantation in Louisiana. They were redone by Arthur LaSalle, the same guy that fixed up Rachel for Opryland.

Long ago and far away!!

Ken

From: mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Whit Whitaker

Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:17 PM

To: mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:Tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com>

Subject: Re: [Tweetsie] Tweetsie in Myrtle Beach

I rode that train when the park was Magic Harbor, I don't remember much about it, but was that an 0-4-0 Porter by chance?. There's one at miniature golf course in N Myrtle Beach. I've wondered if that's where it came from. The other train sounds like Ghost Town. I road this one too but if memory serves me correctly that was a park train powered by a either a gasoline or diesel engine. It probably was running on 18 to 24 inch track.

--- On Tue, 6/26/12, Rick Shaw <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com> <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

From: Rick Shaw <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com> <mailto:rickshaw01%40hotmail.com> >

Subject: [Tweetsie] Tweetsie in Myrtle Beach

To: mailto:tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tweetsie%40yahoogroups.com>

Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 8:40 AM

Group:

I worked at Pirate Land, which was a theme based amusement park, just below Myrtle Beach, SC during the summer of 1968. They had a steam locomotive that had several excursion cars attached and a mile or so of track that was used as one of the rides at the park. The train did a big circle and at some point a couple of pirates stopped and robbed the train. Don't laugh; pirates? trains?, I didn't get the connection either but it was fun and people enjoyed the train ride except for the soot from the coal fired locomotive.

I'm bringing this up, because, the park had a public address system that gave information about the daily scheduled events that was a recorded tape that ran over and over. After a couple of weeks working there, you had the announcements memorized after hearing them play eight hours a day. I remember that they referred to their locomotive as a 'sister locomotive to the Tweetsie Railroad' that was probably operating at Ghost City which was in western North Carolina at that time.

I am wondering if anyone in the group would have any idea if that locomotive was actually a ET&WNC locomotive. I have the usual ET&WNC books and have never seen any mention of one of the locomotives operating in Myrtle Beach. I went by the old park a few years back and could only find a few remains of the parking lot. The Pirate Land Campground, which was adjacent to the theme park in 1968 was still in operation and it looked like most of the park was now a privately owned camping area, complete with security guard.

If anyone has any information I would appreciate your imput.

On an unrelated note, I have a collection of ET&WNC hon3 locomotives, rolling stock kits, structure kits that I am looking to get rid of. More than likely I will try to sell it on eBay but, I would love to see that entire lot go to someone that was really interested in modeling the ET&WNC. My vision is not what it used to be and I have rediscovered O gauge, so, I am getting rid of my hon3 collection.

Thanks,

Rickie K. Thornton

Aiken, SC

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join ETWNC@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.