Tweetsie mention

Rae Augenstein

This came across my Google reader today:

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/Community/story/Listen-to-Buck-id-007168

Listen to Buck

by By Jason Byassee / Senior pastor, Boone United Methodist Church

Storyteller Buck Robbins ‘will break open even ears that are unwilling to
hear,' says his
pastor, Jason Byassee.

An excerpt:

====================

Buck's memory of Boone runs deep. He tells of a time when King Street, our
main drag in Boone, was the only paved street in town. Pigs and chic"kens
roamed, like the genuine country crossroads it was.

Buck remembers the makeshift hunting cabin that Daniel Boone had once built
in what is now the town named for him. “I went into that cabin when I was a
boy,” he said. “It wasn't where that marker says it was.”

I asked Buck once what he remembers about Tweetsie Railroad, the
Tennessee-Western North Carolina line that connected Boone with the outside
world until it washed out in the 1940s. Eyes gleamed. “I'm probably the
only person living who turned that train around,” he said.

As a young boy, Buck got to sit on the conductor's lap and turn the train
in the rail yard in the other direction to head back to Johnson City, Tenn.