Latest ET & WNC magazine

David Pressley

Got mine yesterday and had to check out every photograph. For a couple of minutes I thought that what I had always thought I knew about Elk Park was backwards....... I mean here it is obviously morning photography but if that locomotive and combine are headed for Johnson City they're facing the opposite direction......

And then on closer inspection I could see that the train still needs to run down to Cranberry to be turned for the return trip.

Which begs this question - During the brief period after the washout and before the October 1940 schedule change, where did the crews lay overnight? Elk Park hotel? Somewhere else?

David