From: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf
Of raea
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:25 AM
To: Tweetsie@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Tweetsie] Depot elevations & Balsam Mtn. Inn

My husband and I had lunch at the Balsam Mountain Inn this past
weekend. It's in Balsam, N.C., along the railroad where it crosses
Balsam Mountain. The hotel's literature says,

Nestled at 3500 feet in the Plott Balsam mountain range, Balsam was
for many years home to the highest railroad station east of the
Rockies. The Asheville-to-Murphy branch of the Southern Railway was
built in the mid-1880s, allowing vacationing city folk an easy journey
up to take in the rejuvenating mountain air.

We were wondering how that compares to the ET&WNC depot elevations.

The railroad still runs in front of the hotel, although the depot has
been moved a short distance away and looks like someone is trying to
use it as a dwelling or possibly restore. Picture:
http://tinyurl.com/2zqjly

We figured the hotel is similar to the one that used to stand on top
of Roan Mountain. Lunch was GREAT, so if you can't afford the rooms
($145/nt and way up), at least stop in for a weekend lunch. They let
you explore the entire inn. You can even look into the rooms that are
unoccupied. The hotel website is www.balsammountaininn.com. It's very
easy to find, it's about half a mile off US 74 right past the Blue
Ridge Parkway. It would be a good lunch or dinner spot if you ever
visit the GSMRR in Dillsboro.

- Rae Augenstein