Re: Off-Topic Passenger Train Question

David Pressley

T Thanks everyone for your answers on the Norfolk Southern question. I learned several things that I had not known before........such as Raleigh Union Station was a stub end station that served Seaboard, Southern, and Norfolk Southern. Seaboard moved out to their own run-through station in 1942. Norfolk Southern ended passenger train service in January 1948 and that is probably why Southern, the sole remaining tenant, opted to build their own passenger station (the one Amtrak now uses) and leave the 60-year old Union Station in 1950.

It's great how one question can open up an entire closet full of new information.

Again, thanks for the benefit of your knowledge everyone.

David

http://mail.yahoo.com