Topics

Yellow shafted flicker in Oakland Hills today

Wendy Parfrey

Hello birders,

A female yellow-shafted northern flicker flew into my yard today to feast on insects in a pine stump. I was able to find all the identification marks for the yellow shafted version when it flew into a tree directly above me and perched on an exposed branch: lemon yellow shafts on underside of the tail feathers along with the red crescent on the nape.

Was the throat and head peach colored (per Logan Kahle's 12/5/19 email)? Not sure but I noticed that it had an unusually lovely and uniform color to its head, so maybe with better light it would have looked peach.

Wendy Parfrey
Colton at Heartwood