Topics

Yellow-billed Magpie and Lewis's Woodpecker in Livermore

Jaan Lepson

I had two great birds on my bike ride in Livermore this morning.

First was a YELLOW-BIED MAGPIE perched on a wire along Wente Rd. I haven’t seen them in or around town for a couple of years, although there used to be (~20 years ago) a large roost in the neighborhood not far from us.

Second was a LEWIS’S WOODPECKER along the bike path through Sycamore Grove park. This is the first one I have seen in the park, and the closest to town away from Lake Del Valle. I suppose it was too much to ask that it be there on my way back when the sun and my camera were both out - and it wasn’t.

Safe birding everyone!

Jaan Lepson
Livermore