Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Lake Anza

Claude Lyneis

Jan 22 between 3 and 4 PM.  I went looking for the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker previously reported at Lake Anza as the rain was ending.  Around 4 PM I was on the path west of the spillway and heard a new bird call.  I walked over toward the swimming area and amazingly there was the Sapsucker.  I took about 8 photos, which were backlit and the bird was in the branches.  Anyway, one photo was enough to identify it.  The it flew off to another tree and then departed for parts unknown.  Earlier in the day I again saw a Belted Kingfisher on the other side of the lake.

Sapsucker photo.  https://flic.kr/p/2kuLeEL